adding live sand ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldfishead

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi everyone !!
i would like to add more live sand to my already established tank. i was wondering if anyone has any ideas or tips on this? also is it a good or bad idea to vacuum your sand when ya do a P.W.C.

thanks for any info.
oldfishead

Adding more LS to a tank can cause a major sand storm in the tank. I suggest getting a piece of PVC pipe that will reach the bottom of your sandbed. Use it to "pipe" the new sand onto the sandbed to help prevent the sand from going all over. This will also allow you to place the sand where you need it.

Also turn off all power heads pumps and filters till it is in this way it wont be stirred up ... Once you have in what you want you can turn them back on slowly . You will also want to rinse your filter media several times over to remove the excess . You may also experience a diatom bloom in short order while your biological bacteria repopulates ....

Great point about the powerheads and filtration. Turn them off and let the sand settle.

I used a plastic bowl to add more sand. I slowly let the bowl fill up with water then lowered it to the bottom and slowly poured it out. A PVC will work as well...Definitely turn off all water moving equipment, at least to let some of the sand settle.

Depending on how much sand you are adding you may able to just use baggies. Get the quart or gallon size, fill with LS and seal. Open a corner once the bag is where you want to place the sand and pour it out sloooowly. Definitely turn off all water movement equipment while doing this.

I'm with Scott on this one I use a plastic cup to pour my new sand into the tank. I tried the pipe and made a mess and cussed for about an hour cleaning sand up of the floor and stand.

So I take it you guys add LS to an exsisting system? Not dry that has been rinsed and soaked in SW?????

Back
Top Bottom