Adding live sand to nuvo 16 question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gthirty7s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey guys whats going on.
so i been told by a friend of mine that adding water on top of live sand will kill the bacteria so he told me to first fill up the tank mix the salt to 1.024 and then add the live sand.

now my question is i have a IM Nuvo 16 Gallon tank
if i add the live sand will the send go to the back of the
tank where the filter and pump is and stay there?

and should i shot off the pump or leave it on when adding the send?

what's already done is done..... but turn everything off , put the sand in and let it settle then switch it back on.

plus never really heard of water on top of new sand killing bacteria...... but could be wrong about that

Water on top of live sand will not kill anything in the sand. lol Not sure where people come up with this stuff.

if you already have livestock in the tank be careful when adding any sand, maybe make a paper funnel or something similar and try to shoot it down to the floor of the tank. Keep the pumps or powerheads off and it will settle in a day or so.

if you have no livestock yet, and you havent added the water then add the sand first...then add the water but pour it onto a plate you put into the tank so that youdont muck up the water with sand, the plate will help disperse the water evenly as you pour it in. Works very well, I always do that with my tanks. :)

that plate idea is an awesome idea, will be doing that from now on. everytime I fill up a new tank it's chaos lol

lol, glad you like it. It works so well I dont believe more people havent heard of doing that hehe....Another tip I picked up here on this forum a few years ago and still use to this day.

Read enough threads and you will get a zillion little ideas and tricks I guess. :)

so its been about 22 hours since i added the sand to the tank
i dont think it got any less cloudy from last night.

should i turn on the pump or still leave it off for a day or 2?

That's normal for it to take a while to settle. If you have nothing in the tank, I would leave the pumps off for another day or so.

Back
Top Bottom