adding liverock after cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
today i was cleaning my cannister filter and i desided to put some lr rubble in the container, i had maybe 7 lbs of extra lr so i put it in there in different areas of the tank my tank is fully cycled already was this stupid? and will this make my ammonia go out of control?, kinda bone headed actually i just have a cleanup crew in there and 2 perc clowns

Was the LR you added also fully cured? You said it was "extra", where was it kept?

in the closet in a box wrapped in moist paper towel, i scrubbed it off before i placed it and washed it in sw

There's always the chance of an ammonia spike when adding live rock. So long as it is cured, the risks are minimal. You can always dose the tank with a bit of bio like Nitromax Marine to help keep ammonia down until the tank's own bio catches up. It's also good to allow up to two weeks before putting any new fish or inverts in the tank when making changes that may disrupt the bio temporarily.

Nothing to panic over...you can breathe easy now...LOL. Just keep an eye on ammonia. Nature will catch up and take over again :)

i'll just check my water parameters to make sure i dont get any spikes thanks for the info i'll breath a sigh of relief now hehe

How long has it been in the box, out of water? It is very likely there was considerable die-off on the rock and you may see an NH3 spike. Make sure you have plenty of aged SW on hand for PWC. Monitor parameters and be ready.

i'll breath a sigh of relief now hehe

I would not go that far yet. There is a good chance you will see a decline in water parameters. Just be vigilant and you should be okay.

i'll keep an eye on it, as of now its everythin is still 0 guess i'll just keep checking everyday to be sure

If i add LR during the cycle it will just make the cycle last longer right?

Depending where you are at in the cycle but yes it go longer. Hey hack how big is your tank? If its big enough you might not notice.

just updating its been in there for 2 days and everything is still running zero except nitrates before they where 1 or 2 now their up around 10 or so

checked again today and everything is still zero except nitrates which are around 5 or so, am i correct in assuming that if i was going to experience a spike it would have happend by now?

Back
Top Bottom