Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hackteck
adding liverock after cycling

today i was cleaning my cannister filter and i desided to put some lr rubble in the container, i had maybe 7 lbs of extra lr so i put it in there in different areas of the tank my tank is fully cycled already was this stupid? and will this make my ammonia go out of control?, kinda bone headed actually i just have a cleanup crew in there and 2 perc clowns

Old 02-02-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Was the LR you added also fully cured? You said it was "extra", where was it kept?

Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

in the closet in a box wrapped in moist paper towel, i scrubbed it off before i placed it and washed it in sw
Old 02-02-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's always the chance of an ammonia spike when adding live rock. So long as it is cured, the risks are minimal. You can always dose the tank with a bit of bio like Nitromax Marine to help keep ammonia down until the tank's own bio catches up. It's also good to allow up to two weeks before putting any new fish or inverts in the tank when making changes that may disrupt the bio temporarily.

Nothing to panic over...you can breathe easy now...LOL. Just keep an eye on ammonia. Nature will catch up and take over again

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'll just check my water parameters to make sure i dont get any spikes thanks for the info i'll breath a sigh of relief now hehe
Old 02-02-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

How long has it been in the box, out of water? It is very likely there was considerable die-off on the rock and you may see an NH3 spike. Make sure you have plenty of aged SW on hand for PWC. Monitor parameters and be ready.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

i had a bottle of this stuff called rock prep to scrub off any die off, so i scrubbed off any die off then i placed it

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
Old 02-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'll breath a sigh of relief now hehe

I would not go that far yet. There is a good chance you will see a decline in water parameters. Just be vigilant and you should be okay.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'll keep an eye on it, as of now its everythin is still 0 guess i'll just keep checking everyday to be sure
Old 02-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Joester2k3 Send a message via Yahoo to Joester2k3
If i add LR during the cycle it will just make the cycle last longer right?

Tags
cycling, live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com