Adding LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

utahcutter

Aquarium Advice Regular
Will be setting up a new tank soon, my first one with LR. Do I need to cycle the tank before I add the LR or can I throw it in from the beginning?

You can cycle everything at once. You'll need to cycle the LR anyway unless you get it at your LFS and it's cycled already. Most people order LR online, much nicer and cheaper than most LFS's.

For information on curing live rock plesae see our articles area. Curing live rock in the tank is a great way to cycle the tank and get it ready for fish and other life forms.

It also helps seed your DSB w/ the infauna nessisary to keep it functioning at peak efficiency.

cool, so if I use the LR to cycle the tank does this mean I don't have to stick stinky shrimp in there. Also read something interetsing the other day about using biospira to cycle a tank. It claimed it would cycle it overnight. I find this hard to believe but I am a noob. Is this true?

LR curing will be stinky enough. No need to add shrimp to that mix. I have not used the new marine biospira and doubt any claim that a product will cycle a tank overnight. It might help quite a bit with the cycle but I'd give it a couple of weeks to be sure.

Well.. a little info about how the bacteria process works.
In the right conditions and temp, bacteria can double in a half hour. They will feed on the ammonia or nitrites and bring them back down. This leaves alot of bacteria w/o food. So they die off. Which means the ammonia and nitrites go back up (this takes a little while). And the cycle starts over. They will ride this roller coster untill the ammonia/nitrites reach a balance w/ the bacteria.

Knowing that, what do you think the chances are that the product you mentions can cycle a tank over night?

HTH

Squishy

Well, I figuered it was way to good to be true. Common sense says that bacteria has to grow and die, and that doesn't happen overnight. But I figuered I'm a noob and don't know everything either.

Back
Top Bottom