Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-22-2015, 01:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Adding LR After Tank Set UP

I am going to be setting up a 72G SW tank with LR but was wondering if I start with a smaller amount of LR am I able to add more LR once I have fish and corals in the tank already? Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

missbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion
You can add rock afterwards. Some will QT to avoid incoming unwanted hitchhikers or will cure them to ensure it being 'live'. It would be best to cycle the tank with as much, if not all, the rock and sand if possible.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
You can add it afterward. I would do small amounts over time if doing after though.
Krely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 01:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Like they said, cure it or add small amount at a time because when you buy 'live' rock there will always be some die off which could cause a mini cycle in your tank, (which could harm your fish and corals)

Also another thing to think about is if you are adding more rock, will that rock affect the amount of flow and lighting your corals are used to getting? Just some things to take into consideration ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
FishDaAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
You can add it safely on if its been fully cured first. If not, then it will have die off on it, and when it decays it will add ammonia to the tank, and could possibly throw you into a mini cycle. So make sure its Fully Cured Rock. Or, add tiny amounts at a time, and not all at once, so the system can absorb the ammonia.
Reefing Madness Tank Pics
Reefing Madness is offline   Reply With Quote

set up, tan, tank, tank set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com