Adding LR After Tank Set UP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missbrett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am going to be setting up a 72G SW tank with LR but was wondering if I start with a smaller amount of LR am I able to add more LR once I have fish and corals in the tank already? Thanks for all the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can add rock afterwards. Some will QT to avoid incoming unwanted hitchhikers or will cure them to ensure it being 'live'. It would be best to cycle the tank with as much, if not all, the rock and sand if possible.

You can add it afterward. I would do small amounts over time if doing after though.

Like they said, cure it or add small amount at a time because when you buy 'live' rock there will always be some die off which could cause a mini cycle in your tank, (which could harm your fish and corals)

Also another thing to think about is if you are adding more rock, will that rock affect the amount of flow and lighting your corals are used to getting? Just some things to take into consideration ☺️

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can add it safely on if its been fully cured first. If not, then it will have die off on it, and when it decays it will add ammonia to the tank, and could possibly throw you into a mini cycle. So make sure its Fully Cured Rock. Or, add tiny amounts at a time, and not all at once, so the system can absorb the ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom