Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-06-2004, 01:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Adding LR during cycle

My current situation is as follows:

40 gal tank, 2 almost gone shrimp, 30 lbs base rock, 3 lbs LR. Ammonia = 0. The nitrites are still up so they cycle is definately still in process.

What I was wondering is can I safely add more LR to the tank now without messing up the cycle process and without killing hitch hikers on the LR. I'm looking at adding a piece or 2 at a time (2-4 lbs) until I have all I'm going to add. It is from a reputable LFS (I've heard they do exist) and is cured. I do not have any fish in there at the moment and I am in no rush to put fish in before I should, probably after all LR has been added. Cash flow and a desire to not kill fish are both forcing me to be patient, besides the tank looks pretty cool even without fish. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-06-2004, 03:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

i would say if you add already cured lr then you would be fine. have you had the ammonia spike? to get the trites down you could do water changes that definately would help.

Old 03-06-2004, 06:16 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What is your nitrite level. If the nitrites are not to high you should be ok adding cured liverock from your lfs.

If your nitrite is high then i would avocate waiting a few days for that to continue its down slide.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 06:29 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Interesting question. Unfortunately when I received my test kit (SeaChem) one of the vials was broken and damaged the chart. They are sending a replacement but in the meantime the most precise I can be is too high for fish. If I recall it should be a very pale pink and it is instead a bright red. Is there a rule of thumb for "not to high" in this case. BTW in answer to the earlier question, yes the ammonia spike has come and gone.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com