Adding LR mid-cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well...sometimes it's hard to give the correct emphasis to things when your posting in a forum like this. I did detect the sarcasm and got a smile from it, but others may not have. Perhaps that's because I work PT at an LFS though and I see this type of thing all the time. Anyway we usually beat people with a large moray eel for this, but I guess we can let you slide this time :mrgreen: .
I know the fishless cycle is a sore subject for you right now, but I have to agree with reefrunner...that's a lot of money tied up in fish. If you remove the fish, add the uncured live rock, and let the cycle continue. Perhaps the LFS would be willing to board the fish for a while or maybe give you store credit on them? What will happen is some of the organisms on the LR will die while the rock is being shipped. These dead organisms will basically rot in the tank and produce ammonia like crazy. This, unfortunately, will result in the deaths of other organisms on the rock which will...you guessed it...produce even more ammonia. By the time all this subsides, you will have a good bacterial culture and you can start adding fish.

schild43.gif

After much deliberation my roommate has decided he is going purchase a large quantity of cured rock to stick in the tank. Could the angel and butterfly live in a little 10 gallon (was the salt water tank in the apt, now is the q-tank) for a month to six weeks? Otherwise it has already been decided they are going back to the store. I know everyone will be happy now, no more suffering fish. :p

-Dan

IMO, the butterfly and the angel will not do well in a 10g tank. Maybe one of them, but if you put both of them in a 10g, I think you will see alot of stress and probably some parasitic infestation.

You would run into the same problems as the 10 would start to cycle also. I would take them back. See if the shop will just house them for awhile. I know you are attached to these fish, but if you do not do things right they will die.

Back
Top Bottom