Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-22-2003, 12:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
Adding LR mid-cycle

Lets play the "pretend we didn't do anything wrong game" again and not comment about fish during the cycling process.

The tank is mid-cycle right now with the numbers starting to rise and have yet to peak. If we added live rock at this point what would happen. My feeling is it would hurry along the cycling process.

Any ideas?

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 01:01 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It would depend on the LR. If the rock was fully cured, then it would certainly speed things up as you would be adding a bacteria culture. This doesn't mean rock from an online dealer that is advertised as "fully cured". You should use rock that has been in an established tank for a while. You may lose some of the organisms on the rock due to the ammonia/nitrite levels.

Old 05-22-2003, 02:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Lets play the "pretend we didn't do anything wrong game" again and not comment about fish during the cycling process.
Sounds like you're feeling guilty...

I agree with Logan on this...I added rock to my tank during and after the cycle, but it was from an established tank for at least a couple of weeks..As long as it is cured, you can add it anytime and all it should do is add to the bio-diversity...
Old 05-22-2003, 02:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

IMO Logan and Timbo2 are correct. I started my entire cycle with Cured LR from my LFS, and my eel. i had to pay close attention to amonia and nitrite levels and with the frequent water changes (every three days) i say my cycle process took a lot longer than expected. But i was more concerned with the health of the eel than with the amount of time it took to cycle the tank. If you add established biomatter now your tank should cycle nicely.
And if your wondering why i used the eel to cycle the tank, it is because the owner of the LFS told me that i should I didnt know any better at the time, and i was soooo exited about setting up my first tank i did what h said without doing enough research.
Old 05-22-2003, 03:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
i was soooo exited about setting up my first tank i did what h said without doing enough research.
Thats completely unheard of in this buisness....or something like that.

Anywho,

What would happen if i added uncured rock to the tank?

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
Old 05-22-2003, 03:27 PM   #6

Your levels of Ammonia will rise very high.. This of course will be followed by Nitrite. May also lengthen you rcycle by a few more weeks..
Old 05-22-2003, 03:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

That might not be the end of the world. So are you saying it would rise higher than it would without the rock?

hmmm.....interesting.

THanks

-Dan

Old 05-22-2003, 05:00 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
OK, I let it go the first time it was said, I can't anymore. The tank is mid cycle and you still have fish in the tank?? I won't chastize you, but I will recommend you remove those fish. Let's add it up...

Quote:
koran angel, pakistani bufferfly, clowns, damsels, and shrimps?
Koran Angel 30-40
Pakastani butterfly 30-40
clowns (2) 40
damsels (2) 10
shrimps (?) 20

You have 120-140 dollars invested in fish right now. If you don't remove the fish...you are liable to be throwing that money down the drain.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
and to add to that statement ....you will be very hard pressed to find "fully cured" liverock for the tank. Any less than fully cured will only add time to your cycling process and toxicity to the tank, as was previously mentioned.

Quote:
Quote:
i was soooo exited about setting up my first tank i did what h said without doing enough research.

Thats completely unheard of in this buisness....or something like that.
That was a pretty harsh comment, especially seeing as it looks like you suffer from the same malady.
Old 05-22-2003, 05:13 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know this is the internet, but you didn't pick out any sarcasm in that statement? I was making fun of myself, i thought people would be able to, on some level, appreciate that.

-Dan

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com