Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-01-2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Adding ls to existing tank w/out fish

I see a lot of posts about adding ls and lr to a new tank, but I have a tank that now has 30 lbs lr in it, a 37 g... I have only about 1"-2" sand in it (sand height shifts around due to phs I think). There are some critters in the tank from the lr.

If I want to add another 1-2" of ls, can I just carefully put it in the sides after shutting off my phs, let it settle, then leve it out a bit? Do I need to worry about the sand getting all over the lr? I'm thinking the phs will blow the sand right off over time if any gets on the rocks...

I was thinking of getting some more ls "in a bag" that I already have used from my lfs. I cannot remember the name of the company that makes it... but I like the way it looks (very fine little white grains). I have heard about Southdown or something like that sand that can be purchased from places like HD, will look into that too..

Just wondering if it is a problem to add the ls to an existing fishless tank that already has some ls and lr.

luckycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
i would not waste my money on the "live sand" that comes in a bag. See if your LFS will sell you 10-15 lbs of the real live sand that they have in their tanks. this will avoid a mini-cycle. As for the LR...I personally do not like the hassel of re-curing LR. I buy it a few pounds at a time from my LFS and add it to my exsisiting LR to avoid an amonia spike. With 30# of LR already, I would think your would be able to add 5-7 pounds at a time w/o any problems. the best way to add the dand is to remove all LR and livestock to a bucket. Turn off all filters, skimmer, PH and let the sand settle for an hour or so. Then replace your LR to your liking and add the live stock back to the aquarium. After a move like this it is a good idea to test your water once a day for a week or so to make sure all is well. Good Luck...Lando
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

sting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com