Adding More Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anthuk77

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Brought a tank off the internet and the salt levels have dropped on my floating messuring device just by one messurement what do i need to do the rectify this ? thanks in advance :fish2:

Do a partial water change would be the answer. Those floating measuring devices are really unreliable....a pwc of the same salinity you are at or .001 will help raise it.

WELCOME to the forums btw :-D

what measuring device do recommend i purchase and what type of salt ?

I agree get a refractometer. They are more reliable. If you want to increase salinity just add Sw instead of FW till you get where you want it to be. Where is it now and where do you want to get it to. There is no "best" saltmix out there. They basically have their weak points and strong points. Just get what`s basically available to you and try that out. If you do a search on the site here you can see what folks use and why.

One thing you can do instead of a pwc is to top off the tank with saltwater. Make sure you keep a close eye on the SG. Hydrometers aren't very accurate and if a small bubble gets on the swing arm then they are basically useless. I got one in a door package at a frag swap and tried it out. It varied greatly from my refractometer and it was difficult for me to get the same reading twice with the hydrometer.

Hydrometers need to be calibrated(checked) using the instructions on the reef salt package you are using,make a mark at the point if it is different.

Back
Top Bottom