adding more sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gti_Leo

Aquarium Advice Addict
i've been considering adding a deeper sand bed to my already cycled aquarium. i have 3 snails and 2 perc clownfish.

the sand i want to use is Carib Sea Pacific Black Ocean Live sand, that is already bagged. i placed carib sea in when i first setup and it produced alot of clouding.

should i wash the sand first before putting it in to avoid this or should i put it in and if i do will i have to remove my LR and all my livestock

Yes, I always cut the top of the bag and let water run through the LS for a while till only clear water is pouring out the top of the bag. Why do you want a deep sand band or do you just want the black sand over the white. Added new LS to and already established bed can sometimes cause another cycle but it sounds like you don't have to much in your tank to worry about.

I would not use live sand. Just use black aragonite sand it will become live in a few weeks anyway, and your tank won't go through a small cycle. Rinse the sand in a bucket until the water runs clear, put some in a cup and bring it to the sand bed, then slowly pour it out. Bringing the sand down to the sand bed in a cup will reduce clouding the water.

no i've only had my tank setup for a month and a half, its still pretty new and i don't want to rush. i still need to put anotehr 10 or so pounds of live rock and i only have about an inch and a hald of sand maybe 2. i'd like to get some nassarius snails and a pistol shrimp, and have read they need a deeper sand bed, which i really don't have. i plan on brining it up to about 3 inches of depth which will prob take another 10-15 pounds worth

Back
Top Bottom