Adding new LR to cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

base13

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 20 pound of live rock in a 29 gallion tank. The tank has already cycled and i already have 2 fish that are doing great. If I buy more live rock and add it to the tank with this send my tank into another cycle and kill my fish?

If you get it from your LFS and it`s already cured then you`ll be Ok. If not then you`ll need to cure it your self. You can read about it in our Sw articles section.

+1
As long as you get it from the LFS and get it home and in tank right away you should be fine. However if you leave it in your trunk/car for a few hours at unregulated temperatures (too hot / too cold) then your going to get some die off and a possible ammonia spike causing a cycle. If that does happen you can use Amquel to lighten the strain on your fish to keep them safe while the tank catches up.

Granted... everyone has their opinions, but just curious why another possible cycle - depending on the condition of the rock - isn't a serious problem?

Once LR is out of the water for any period of time there is going to be some die-off of the organisms living on/in the LR. That dead material will decompose causing the release of ammonia, etc., etc.

If it's out of the water for any log period of time you can test it in a bucket of sw as suggested. You can also cure the LR in a tub for a few weeks to let a cycle complete, and then transfer it to your tank.

If bringing if home from the lfs, find out how long they have had it in a curing tub. IF it's been there for weeks+, then bring it home wrapped in wet towels in an insulated box to prevent as much die off as possible.

If you are only adding a few pounds of new LR then you SHOULD not have any problems

Thanks for the posting the question. I was wondering the same thing. I want to get more LR and see if I luck out and get some good organisms hiding in it. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom