Adding power filter to saltwater...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

batman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was going to add a power filter to the marine aquarium I'm just starting however I was told not to add the "white rock" filter media to it, just the carbon and sponge. (The name of the "white rock" is on the tip of my tongue but I can't recall right now. I believe it is the amonia remover???) Is this fact or fiction? ...the part of adding it to the system.
thanks...
...Steven

White Rock

I use a power filter on my SaltWater Aquarium. I was also told to stear clear of any other medium except bio-logical fiter medium and charcoal. I use an Aqua Clear power filter, not the best but it works and I put the sponge block in with a bag of charcoal and my water quality is good. I have heard that you shouldn't need any ammonia removing substances if you keep within the guidelines of you tank ( no over feeding and over crowding )( I also think this goes for fresh water also) and you have beneficial bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, CYCLING PROCESS is where this begins. A whole nother story however. Is your filter Hang on tank or free standing?

Hope I shedded some light

filters

Yeah, you probably could. I wonder if there is a need for it though. Do you have live rock in this tank? If so, the LR will, after cycling is complete, take care of the ammonia and nitrite. If you do not have the LR, you will be relying on the sponge for a biological filter. If this is the case, it might be a good idea to have two in there. That way you can alternate cleaning them and this will have a lower impact on the biological filter. Tell us more about your tank. What size is it? What will you be keeping in there?
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom