Adding Substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhoelter

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heya folks,

I've been tending to a 30g saltwater tank for over a year now...it was already established and currently has 2 ocellaris clowns as well as counless bristleworks in the LR and substrate. All measurements are fine, including nitrates which has been under control lately since I've been changing the water more regularly. The current substrate is crushed coral, I believe... http://loar.net/gallery/sw-fish/PDR_0508 . I would like to add some sand - to help it look nicer and to raise the bottom a bit (the sand is kinda low in some spots). Is there any reason NOT to add sand? Do I have to remove the cc? Any procedures I should take to add it?

Thanks!
Jeff

The tutorial is great. The only problem with adding sand on top of cc is that eventually the cc will make it's way back to the top. That's ok if you like the cc. A slow change over is best. Also, a method I used when adding sand to avoid as much sandstorm as possible was to use a piece of pvc pipe. This gets the sand to the bottom without loosing so much into the water column, as well as gives you some control on where the sand goes. HTH.

Thanks. My plan is to remove approx 25% of the CC at a time and add enough sand to replace the removed CC. I hope that way to minimize any ammonia or nitrite spikes. I'll do a 10-15% water change at the same time.

Maybe I can even start tomorrow! I'm visiting the LFS tonight anyway and maybe I'll hit Home Depot tomorrow if the fish store doesn't have cheap sand...the PVC pipe method sounds good!

Thanks,
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom