Adding substrate to existing tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DBXBO1I

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody. I've had a 20g tank for about a year with no fish up until just last week. I'm wondering if its possible to add more substrate to my tank. I have less then an inch.

I have about 20lbs of live rock, 5 hermit crabs, 5 snails, and one percula clownfish.

-thanks

Sure, just get some sand or whatever you use, rinse it and pour it on top. I add some new sand every few months due to loss of sand while siphoning and just because it makes the tank look nice.

It helps if you get a piece of PVC pipe and pour the sand down the pipe right onto the bottom. This keeps the sand storm to a minimum. Also make sure you rinse the new substrate very well and consider running a sock or filter pad for a day or two in order to clear the tank as quickly as possible to not disturb the fish. Clowns are hardy though and i'm sure he will do just fine.

It helps if you get a piece of PVC pipe and pour the sand down the pipe right onto the bottom. This keeps the sand storm to a minimum. Also make sure you rinse the new substrate very well and consider running a sock or filter pad for a day or two in order to clear the tank as quickly as possible to not disturb the fish. Clowns are hardy though and i'm sure he will do just fine.

This is what I do also. Good suggestion.

I did it...rinse the sand thoroughly, and drop it in through a pipe as close to the bottom as you can. The water WILL cloud no matter how hard you try, but I added a full inch to my 20 gallon and it cleared within about 6-8 hours. My clownfish never even moved from his favorite spot. Love that guy!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom