Adding Sump to 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What are the advantages of having a drilled sump? Is it because of the external pumps being better? Is it a hard piping thing? Not sure if I want to drill my sump. Seems like most are drilled though. Just a cleaner set up?

Mine's not. Some worry about heat generated from the submersible pump. Never really paid that much attention. I was after cheap, and a used tank and a sub-pump fit the bill nicely :)

What about the positioning of the two holes? (Drain and return)? One above the other? Are the holes the same size? I thought I read somewhere that the return is a little smaller.

Does this have anything to do with the capacity of the return pump?

Thanks again Captain. I just joined this site and have learned more today than I have in the last year. lol

I also use submersible pumps for my returns. My sump is not drilled.

I skimmed over the responses and questions you have asked, I would not suggest drilling a hole in the tank for your return line. I understand you wanting to have everything nice and neat but keep in mind that the return will back siphon water when the pump is off.

As long as you match the pump flow to the drain you will be fine on water flow. A 1" bulkhead can handle about 600gph via 1" PVC. I would think a Mag7 would work just fine as your return pump.

Thanks Ziggy.

Your point regarding the siphon factor for the return lines is true. In my head I had pretty much settled on having three holes drilled. I wanted my internal overflow box along the back wall in the middle. (The height of the tank). Then I was going to have 2 return lines, one in each upper corner. I like that idea of flow in the tank.

How do people get around siphoning return lines? Would it be a different story if I had the return also drilled in the overflow box area??

a simple check valve

A return in the box area will only back siphon as deep as the return head is located. All that should be figured into the sump design to handle for the possibility

Hi Captain,

Do many people use check valves in there return lines? I would think everybody would but it sounds like everyone just leaves for the return lines drain to the sump. Why not have a check valve or one way valve that only lets the water flow to the tank and not the sump? Does this pose an issue for the return pump? Do these valves cause more blockages? Are there disadvantages to a one way valve other than cost?

Thanks

Check valves can fail. If something gets sucked into the pump it could get stuck in the valve and then you have defeated the purpose. My return lines go over the top of the tank and I have two holes drilled just above the water line to break siphon if the power goes out. This has worked very well for me and it is how many other folks prevent a flood.

I don't like putting faith in a valve that could fail and cause problems. What ever you do you need to make sure that your sump can handle the back flow when your pumps are shut off.

Good point Ziggy. Perhaps not having a drilled hole for my return line would be alright. I like the fact that it can siphon back. Do you use hard piping or soft stuff for this?

If I was just to get one hole drilled for drain that wasn't on the bottom, where would you suggest to be a good spot? And where would you have it return to?

Either way Zigg's, it's still only going to siphon down the the water level of the return nozzle.

I guess I could have it drilled near the top of the tank in the overflow box. I am going to have an oversized sump tank. I have to check out some dimensions but I would make sure I have the capacity in the sump to include the lines themselves and down to the return line level in the tank.

What kind of piping is better? Hard or soft?

You have to make sure of that regardless of the choice you make. Personal preference, I prefer rigid

I prefer flexible spa hose below. No elbows etc. Rigid from the bottom of the tank and above. Including the durso, of course.

Why flexible below and rigid up top? I like the idea of no elbows. And the ablility to change things out easier.

Check out the Durso standpipe. All pvc construction. As is the pipe leading to the flexible black pastic hoses putting the water back into the tank.

In other words, the flex goes from the pump below to the overflow box connection that is rigid.

Thanks Austinsdad. I will check out the Durso. Is this setup possible when the tank is drilled on the back and not the bottom? We are talking return line correct?

And the drain line could be pvc off the overflow box to the sump?

Nah. The Durso standpipe is for the bottom drilled tank and overflow box. It's basically so the waterfall (water going to the sump) over that box isn't as deep so it doesn't make that much noise.

I'd imagine you're using the bulk head fitting from the back and an elbow pointed downward, both hard. Likely the black. From there you could do the flex spa hose. Just need the stronger glue for pvc to flex than the stuff used for all pvc to pvc. Ask the plumber tech at the store which. I think it's blue.

Thanks again Austinsdad,

I think I will be going with the bulkhead to elbow pointing down off the back wall of the tank. I didn't even know you could glue to flex hose. I figured I would need a threaded nipple to the bulkhead which would house the flex hose by ring clamp.

Would you bother drilling a return hole? I guess the setup would be bulkhead to elbow pointing up within the overflow box. What height should I drill hole or holes?

Get the right flex hose. It was spa hose, used in hot tubs and pools i believe. Just make sure your bulklhead fitting is smooth on the outside. Or an attachment to the threaded that's smooth for the hose to fit in. Then again, what you described would work also it done right.

Can't help ya with the drilling question.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom