Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I guess I could have it drilled near the top of the tank in the overflow box. I am going to have an oversized sump tank. I have to check out some dimensions but I would make sure I have the capacity in the sump to include the lines themselves and down to the return line level in the tank.

What kind of piping is better? Hard or soft?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #32
Thanx but no.....

You have to make sure of that regardless of the choice you make. Personal preference, I prefer rigid

Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #33
AA Team Emeritus

I prefer flexible spa hose below. No elbows etc. Rigid from the bottom of the tank and above. Including the durso, of course.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #34

Why flexible below and rigid up top? I like the idea of no elbows. And the ablility to change things out easier.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus

Check out the Durso standpipe. All pvc construction. As is the pipe leading to the flexible black pastic hoses putting the water back into the tank.

In other words, the flex goes from the pump below to the overflow box connection that is rigid.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #36

Thanks Austinsdad. I will check out the Durso. Is this setup possible when the tank is drilled on the back and not the bottom? We are talking return line correct?

And the drain line could be pvc off the overflow box to the sump?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Nah. The Durso standpipe is for the bottom drilled tank and overflow box. It's basically so the waterfall (water going to the sump) over that box isn't as deep so it doesn't make that much noise.

I'd imagine you're using the bulk head fitting from the back and an elbow pointed downward, both hard. Likely the black. From there you could do the flex spa hose. Just need the stronger glue for pvc to flex than the stuff used for all pvc to pvc. Ask the plumber tech at the store which. I think it's blue.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #38

Thanks again Austinsdad,

I think I will be going with the bulkhead to elbow pointing down off the back wall of the tank. I didn't even know you could glue to flex hose. I figured I would need a threaded nipple to the bulkhead which would house the flex hose by ring clamp.

Would you bother drilling a return hole? I guess the setup would be bulkhead to elbow pointing up within the overflow box. What height should I drill hole or holes?
Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Get the right flex hose. It was spa hose, used in hot tubs and pools i believe. Just make sure your bulklhead fitting is smooth on the outside. Or an attachment to the threaded that's smooth for the hose to fit in. Then again, what you described would work also it done right.

Can't help ya with the drilling question.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:27 PM   #40

Are sumps a lot louder than non sump set ups?

Tags
5 gallon, 75 gallon, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com