Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-05-2004, 07:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Adding Water

I have read the conciensious marine aquariust and am just tying to get some peoples opinioni on some things. Mainly should i mix the water in the tank itslef or let it age for a few days ina rubbermaid? I am planning on having a fish only tank and am going to have live rock for the benefit of the fish and tank maintenence, shuold i use a sump or a powerfull canister filter? Any suggestions on some starting fish would be great to. This is the most informative site on the web!

Thanks Again.

podge387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 08:03 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
the best thing yopu can do is age it and match the temp. and use a wet/dry for all the bio-filtration that you will get due to the exposeuire to the two enviroments. and canisters ive heard to be are very unhealthy for s/w

it's better to be lucky than good ±
powderbluetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 01:57 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If you're starting the tank, there is no reason you can't mix the initial batch of water in the tank. After that, it will need to be mixed in a separate container and at least aged overnight. I keep a heater and powerhead in my mixing container. A sump is the best way to go for several reasons. It adds water volume to the system. It gives you a place to hide unsightly equipment such as heaters, skimmers, ect... It's a great place to dose additives and perform water changes. I wouldn't use a canister. Whether you need a wet/dry depends on how much rock you intend to have. If you will have at least 1.5lbs per gallon, you don't need the wet/dry. If you intend to have much less than that, you may find you need some extra biological filtration capacity...this is also dependent on the bioload in the tank.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the benefits of aging RO/DI water? I thought water filtered through a RO/DI system is pure enough to use right away. What is happening to the water during the 24hr aging process?

Pardon my ingnorance...

TygGer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The aging of mixed sw is for oxygenation. When salt is mixed larger quantities of O2 are used. By allowing 24 hrs with a ph running the O2 will return to normal levels. If you were to add water immediately it would lower the O2 in the water, possibly harming livestock.
A lot of ripples make a wave
darb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Not to mention it's pretty caustic for a while after adding the salt.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 07:54 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
From what I have read, though you don't see it, not all the salt will instantly dissolve, and if this lands on livestock it can be, like atari said, harmful to your livestock

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully."
—Saginaw, Mich., Sept. 29, 2000
ClamKnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com