Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2005, 12:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Adding what number of fish to a cycled tank?

One of my good friends is in the hospital (horrible car accident). A few weeks before this happened, I helped him cycle his tank. Now that it's cycled and he'll be getting out of the hospital soon, I'd like to have something nice for him to come home to. I just want to set him up with some Damsels because he doesn't have much experience.

My question is, how many fish can I add in a 75 gallon at one time? How many total Damsels could he have in there? Should I slowly increase his bio-load by adding 3-4 Damsels at a time?

Thanks everyone.

Old 07-11-2005, 02:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm sorry to hear about your friend I hope he will recover. What is in the tank as far as liverock, filtration, etc. How long has it been cycled?

Old 07-11-2005, 02:33 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

He has no live rock in the tank, but has about 75 lbs of live sand. He has a wet/dry, but no skimmer.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:59 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

I'd do a pair of farm raised clowns to start with. They're tuff like damsels also, but w/out the agression. Being the first fish in, the damsels may be agressive towards new, larger fish later and casue problems.

What has your friend mentioned about fish? Might have to consider rock first. If pre-cured rock, then OK to put fish in now. If rock is to be cured, gonna have to do that first before adding fish anyway IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:59 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

My friend just wants some hardy fish. As far as rock goes, I'm buying the fish for him, and don't want to spend that kind of money on rock. I might buy 50-60 lbs of base rock and add 20 lbs of LR. Haven't really decided yet...
Old 07-11-2005, 09:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Clowns are good hardy fish... But you better find out what his intent is on the tank. Fish that you add today may not coincide with what he plans in the future. i.e A picasso trigger would not be a good playmate for clown fish...
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

mjvincent makes a good point. What's your friend's intent? Predator tank (eels, triggers, etc.)? Community fish only, no corals (angels, tangs, clowns, etc.)? Or, a reef tank (corals and coral safe fish).

Until you know that, it's hard to pick a fish.

runway1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, cycled, led, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com