Additives / Suppliments

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquafreak

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi again,

So, I"ve got all the rock in my tank and I'd like to get the coraline growing more... what suppliments would anyone recommend?

Warm regards :)

start dosing calcium. coralline is a calcium-based algae that needs calcium to grow.
i am currently using kent's liquid calcium, which seems to work well for coralline growth. you may want to go with bionic's two part solution. i have heard only great things. also heard some good stuff about kent's kalkwasser mix in combo with liquid calcium. bionic seems more cost efficient, but im not at all sure about that. i personally am using liquid calcium in combo with superbufferdKh which seems to do well for my small systems, however alkalinity has a tendency to drop quickly in my 29g.
what else is in there? how are you filtering the system?
you should dose iodine if using a skimmer as the skimmer will remove iodine quickly. i also dose strontium because i have a deal of inverts that use it regularly.
you should dose calcium in some way and consider beginning a dosage of iodine and strontium in the near future IMO.

I keep my ca between 400 & 450 and my dKh between 9 & 11. Make sure that you're testing both because they should go up and down together. They may not rise and fall at the same rate, but dosing one without monitoring and dosing the other is a sure recipe for problems.

Thanks. Your combinations sound really good.

I am concerned with overdosing on Ca for now so I will wait a few weeks -- besides I don't have a test kit and my others are on back order...

Filter -- 30 gallon sump with bio balls at 1400 GPH and Turbofloater skimmer 2500.

...just getting started :)

I use seachem reef complete which will raise calcium and maintains magnesium and strontium. I understand that calcium is needed for coralline growth but that strontium will make it spread quicker.

The next day I will add seachem reef builder which will raise carbonate alkalinity.

The third day I rest. And start the cycle over on the fourth day.

oh yeah, watch that peppermint shrimp - we had some that ate our ricordias...all of them :(.

Back
Top Bottom