Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2009, 03:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Advantages to lv and coral

i have a couple of tanks and i dont have any lr or coral should i have some im sure my fish would like it but they seem happy w out it? can i still add it is it high maintnance...any help appreciated

Old 03-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What kind of tank do you have now? Size, when set up, what's stocked in there now. any sand, what type of filter?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You should definitely should get some LR for the biological filtration part and your fish would have some places to call home.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:37 AM   #4

i have places for my fish to hide and they all seem hapy and well is it high maintnance???... i have a 55 gallon with a orange clown. blue hippo tang. majestic angelfish, royal gramma, coral beauty, and a porcupine puffer... than i have a 35gal w a tomato clown and a lion fish... they all seem happy id like to just know what im gettin into pleease and thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #5

i dont have sand and i just have a 55 gallon filter and i have a prizm skimmer as well thanks again
Old 03-16-2009, 02:07 AM   #6

live rock help is low maintenance. once a regular rock has been "cured" it is live and will just thrive in a saltwater tank. you don't need to feed it or anything. just normal water maintenance like you should be doing anyway.

it will help build the proper bacteria to help maintain water levels.

your fish won't really mind the rocks either way. it's only coral that you should be worried about. some fish are not coral friendly.
if you just plan on flipping regular rocks or decorations for live rock, go ahead!

my suggestion would be to find some fiji rocks from Petco to build your base with... they tend to be a little cheaper and not so colorful, but you don't need anything crazy for a base... then find a specialty fish store that stocks live rock.
it's slightly more expensive (usually around $8.99 per pound, compared to $7.99 or $6.99 at Petco) but are much better.
employees there are trained much better than Petco on what to use and can help you pick out the proper rocks.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 AM   #7

if you're looking into that, should also looking at adding some substrate or live argonite reef sand... what do you have on the floor of your tank if you don't have sand?

you should post some pics of your 55 gallon tank up
(or both if you want)
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I'm willing to bet your 55g is high in nitrates. That's a lot of larger fish in there, and without the rock for added biological filtration, things WILL go south at some point. How are your water readings now? And OK, just fine isn't a good answer.

I'd recommend 50 to 80 pounds of rock be added. And remember, it's not the weight of the rocks that's important, it's the surface area where the "biology" lives.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #9

i have crushed corral on the bottom of both my tanks i have dead corral in the 35 gallon tank i tested my water and they looked goo but i brought some water to my fish store and they said it was good as well she said id have to get new lights???
Old 03-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

See there. You did it.

The water "is good". You and the lfs took readings and said the same thing.

What is "good"? Tell us the nitrate reading.

My contention is that you have a lot of fish in a 35g tank, with no rock providing enhanced biological filtration. I think you're headed for trouble.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com