Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

So far, all I've seen on Craigslist have been monster 280-300 gallon freshwater systems complete with fish. I'll keep an eye on things and see what comes up. Are there any particular brands both with aquariums and sump/filter systems that are better than others?

Also, back to my question around built in overflows vs hang-on-the-side overflows. Is there an advantage of one over the other?

Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Built in looks cleaner in my opinion and eliminates the need for the tank to be out further from the wall. I have had a tank that was drilled in the back of the tank (versus from the bottom) and with plumbing the tank was 8 inches from the wall and you had to see all the plumbing.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina
Built in looks cleaner in my opinion and eliminates the need for the tank to be out further from the wall. I have had a tank that was drilled in the back of the tank (versus from the bottom) and with plumbing the tank was 8 inches from the wall and you had to see all the plumbing.
It's also more fool proof...impossible to over fill a tank with a drilled overflow unless it becomes clogged..HOB you have to rely on a siphon
Old 01-26-2012, 10:30 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The HOB overflow boxes can be noisy even when trying to use the air tube as a muffler it didn't work well for me. I do like my drilled tank better. I don't know how well you do on diy projects but you can make a lot of things yourself and save money there, also you can customize things like stand, hood, sump and lights if you want.

Check out local forums. I typed in North Carolina reef and saltwater forums and came up with 2 and 1 local club. I find a lot of great deals on used equipment and also livestock.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks. I've come across 56g tank that seems to be decent and the right size for the space. However the floor of the tanks is tempered glass and specifically says "do not drill." That scares me off of drilling my own despite experience with working with and cutting acrylic sheeting. Is it still do-able or would I be better with the external overflow if we ended up with this tank. I understand that many tanks have tempered bottoms.

The reason I ask is that stock tanks with pre-drilled overflows seem to be far pricier despite being essentially fewer components than an overflow.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:09 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatheron
Thanks. I've come across 56g tank that seems to be decent and the right size for the space. However the floor of the tanks is tempered glass and specifically says "do not drill." That scares me off of drilling my own despite experience with working with and cutting acrylic sheeting. Is it still do-able or would I be better with the external overflow if we ended up with this tank. I understand that many tanks have tempered bottoms.

The reason I ask is that stock tanks with pre-drilled overflows seem to be far pricier despite being essentially fewer components than an overflow.
I would wait for another tank. You can not drill tempered glass. It will shatter. However- you could drill the back of the tank and run PVC to the sump from there. This is how I had my 90 gallon set up
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

The tank in question is about $339 inclusive of the stand and a glass top. It's 30"x18"x24" tall. Are flooding issues inevitable with an overflow box, even if it has a pump to maintain the siphon?
Old 01-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The first choice for me would be a drilled tank. i have both setups and much prefer the drilled for soo many reasons.

I've had my 125g running with an overflow box for close to 8 months or so and have never had a flood or any issue at all. If you set it up correctly you will be fine.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I picked up a 55 last year for free, and a 45 a few weeks ago for $40. Craigslist is great! By the time you get lights, sand, rock, skimmer, etc, you'll end up paying roughly the same for a bigger setup as you would have for that little one, and have a lot more flexibility. Plus imagine all the pretty stuff you can put in a bigger tank! LOL
MacDracor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

We had a chance to look at some tanks today as we were awaiting to the keys to take official possession of our new home. My wife really favours the bow-front style, or even a corner unit. We had the store price out pre-drilled tanks for us. Seems that a 46 gallon bowfront doesn't come with an built-in overflow, but the 72g definitely does, as does the 54g corner.

When we took possession of our place today, we measured out a few possible places for the aquarium to go. There's a few places where a 48" tank will fit quite nicely. It seems the taller tanks (like the 56g 30x18x24) aren't as likely to have the overflows built in, or if they are, they're a lot more expensive an option.

What is encouraging is that my wife is very engaged in this process... and she seems to favour the bow-front style. Anything we should keep in mind?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com