Advice for equipment for 60 cm tank with 40 cm sump (100l)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahochan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I've finally taken the plunge and bought a new aquarium... Its a 60 cm overflow tank with a 40 cm sump. Total water volume is about 100 liter (26 gallons). It will be a fish only with live rock tank (although I do plan to put some hermit crabs and shrimp in).

(picture of the tank and sump is here: http://www.pleco.jp/image/ofty_600.jpg)

The aquarium I bought is quite different from what I had planned to buy initially when I posted here a few months back, so I'll consider what fish to put in later on.

I'm looking for some advice for how to set it up properly, specifically:

- What filter media to use.

The shop recommended that I put wool mats in the small intake chamber and fill big chamber below with ceramic rings.

I don't really know much about refugiums, but the sump tank that I got doesn't really seem very well fit for one (picture here: http://www.pleco.jp/image/enbi_rokasou.jpg) so I guess a more "traditional" filtration approach is better for now.

- Do I need a protein skimmer and what kind to get.

The sump tank is quite small, so if I get a skimmer it will have to be a hang on back type. I've been looking at the Red Sea Prism, but I'm open for other suggestions in a similar price range (quiet models a big plus).

Also, should I add the skimmer immediately, or is it ok to add it as an upgrade after a month or two.

- Heater

Will a 300 W heater suffice? Is it enough to have only a single heater in the sump, or should I add an additional (smaller) one in the main tank as well?

- Powerhead

I guess the ideal amount of current will depend on what type of fish I end up getting. In general, will the overflow and sump mechanism provide enough current in itself, or should I aim for an in-tank powerhead as well (preferably one with adjustable output).

- Using material from running tank

I've been running a tiny 25 cm tank thats been home to a single blue yellow-tailed damselfish for the last few months. The tank seems to be doing fine, and has stable water parameters. Its hooked up to a small canister filter. Would it be a good idea to take some of the ceramic rings and sand from the small tank and use it to kick-start the new tank, or am I better off cycling it completely with live rock only? I'm also confused as to whether or not I should get normal argonite sand or live argonite sand.

I know alot of people instead of using ceramic rings or bio balls are using LR rubble. I am getting ready to replace my bio balls with that. Also as far as filtration I use LR and a skimmer + a refuge. You wont need the skimmer right away if you want to wait a month or two to get it but you will need one for sure IMO. Powerheads you might have to wait till the tank is up and running and check it out then.

Back
Top Bottom