Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Advice for Lazy Man's Reef Tank

I would like a starter reef tank to work on with my daughters...probably in the 30-55g range. What is the best set up that will reduce my maintenance? I looked at a RSM today. For a newbie, a plug and play system is appealing even if they are a little overpriced. I've been trying to search threads as I'm sure the info is already on here. Really, I'm just looking for a very nice system. Ease of use and quality are more important than price (within reason). Thanks for the help.

umyaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
The RSM is a super system but agree a little overpriced.

They have several options in the 20-38g size range though. Innovative marine has a 38g that is pretty awesome and ALOT less money. lol

180g Reef - 60g Rimless Reef -90G FOWLR- 125g Malawi Cichlids- 40b REEF- 34g Fresh Planted-working on- 20L FOWLR- working on
I have a mix of many different saltwater fish amongst my tanks, but I love my Tangs most of all.
carey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
The RSM is a fantastic system. Great for softies and lps and some montipora species. The RSM is awesome because its just one plug. I believe the innovative marine is not a single plug. Not 100% on that.
czwicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
I can't comment on that tank but I still think water changes would be needed (weekly) for a successful tank. I found that when I first set up the tank it was very time consuming with regular testing and monitoring every couple of days but after about 6months when I had worked out a schedule I find it really easy to maintain, still do weekly changes tho the benefits of having a salt water tank is worth it I reckon!
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
The kind of tank you have really isnt going to change the maintenance all that much. That will be more dependent on livestock and filtration methods. What are you wanting to keep in it?
saltcreep1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
Personally I think a large sump reduces maintenance and also creates more room for error in the event of a lapse in maintenance. I also think that it makes water changes easier as i pump water in and out of the sump without turning anything off. Filtration wise, the sump gives live rock filtration and macro algae filtration. I have no filters to change, just emptying the protein skimmer. So basically water changes, water fills for when the water evaporates and emptying the skimmer. I do advise though that I did purchase a RO/DI system and keep the water ready to go into the tank in Brute garbage cans. One for the salt mixture and one for fresh water for evaporation. I do a 25% change every two weeks. Things remain pretty stable.

MaiTank is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com