I'm new to your forum and the hobby. I have my setup running and wanted some advice.
I have a 90 gal
Tall corner overflow tank that is built into the wall and gets viewed from both sides.
Tank has a corner overfow that draines to a 40 gal
sump with a biobag on the input and a turbo skimmer. Overflows and is sent back via return and a Catalina 5000 in sump pump. No other powerheads except skimmer.
Substrate and Rock
Reading an article online I used 80lbs of play sand and cycled it by itself and filtered for a week then added 40lbs of coralife live sand on top.
I have put down about 40lbs of vulcanic(white holey) rock then about 30lbs of dead live rock then another 100lbs of live rock that I obtained from my LFS
. I also purchased a couple of real hard corals that where dead and dried out off ebay that are in the tank.
I have 4 T5 54w Odessa bulbs. 2 are Actinic and 2 are 12000K Daylight. The fixture also has 4 led
"moon" bulbs. I have been running my actinics pretty much 24/7 since I put in the LR
. Is this a good idea? Do Inverts need dark time? Or the more light the better?
I purchased 10 hermit blue/red crabs and 10 snails at first setup. All the snails died. I'm guessing they couldn't right themselves or they didnt have anything to eat. So I got rid of the corpses and put the shells back in for the crabs. I then purchased 2 yellow damsels that are doing well. A week later I got 10 more crabs and today I added 10 more snails as I am starting to have an algae problem. Today I also started my rock on Seachem's Reef Fusion 1/2 and purple up today.
My water comes from my kitchen 5 stage RO
system mixed with Instant ocean blend.
Temp: Steady around 78-80 deg
Specific Gravity. 1.023
Am I on the right track? However here are a few questions I have.
1. I am getting a great deal of water loss do to atmosphere. Can I add fresh water to the sump and let mix as the Gravity levels go up when this happens as the salt stays in the water right? Is it safe to just add RO
water? How do I handle this?
2. Since there is really nothing in my tank, what do I need to change the water for?
3. How long do I have to wait to get something out of my live rock to start growing? I see little things(Less than 1/4") but they are not growing, or very little.
4. Do I have to buy my anonome's etc or will they eventually come out of the rock?
5. What should I get next?
6. How do you keep your protein skimmer from bubbling out the top all the time. I set it so bubbles go about 1/2 up the cup tube but eventually it ends up going to high and filling the cup. Do I have to reset it several times a day?
You have a great community hear I am really happy I found it and look forward to becoming a part of it.
The picture is b4 I added alot of things along with the live sand. I will try and post some updated pics.