Advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katlee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55 gallon reef tank that has been sitting in someone's garage for approx 5 yrs with nothing in it, it has wet dry filter with sump, bio balls and a protein skimmer that has been dry for the 5 yrs that it has set empty. Is it possible to clean this thing and use it, or will it need new every thing? It also has MH lights, the person that had this tank developed an illness and could no longer put the time, $$ and energy into it and now wants to sell it. Many years ago I did have a salt water tank with corals, live rock, fish and really enjoyed it, I know that a lot has changed since I had mine and have been doing a lot of reading and research, just really do now know where to begin, any advice would be greatly appreciated. would it be ok to clean the tank with bleach water? It really needs a good cleaning

Kat

A good cleaning with Vinegar would work and a real good rinse.. wet/dry are IMO old school but can be converted to a sump... MH lights are good but probably need new bulbs.. I would fill the tank with water and give it a few days of water testing to see if it holds. Protein skimmer what kind? toss the bio balls and get some rock...
many good parts.. just need cleaning if they all hold water and fire the bulbs..

thanks for the advice, I have no clue what kind of skimmer this is....as far as rock instead of bio balls are you talking live rock? and if so would it need light in the sump? back in the day when I had my tank things were not near as complicated, but then again, not much lived. I suppose I have A LOT more research to do. I know there is a 20 gallon tank under the 55 gallon one that has another thing (that looks like a tall skinny tank) that has the bio balls in it. I imagine I will need to get a new skimmer and am open for suggestions on what kind/type and also pumps and filters? I got this tank for a steal or would not have done this, I have a fresh water tank but have always preferred marine. I plan to have clowns and annemoes, live rock, maybe some feather dusters and a few other inverts and fish but probably not any coral until I have this thing going for at least a year or so. Another question, this tank has a bunch of old dried out what used to be live rock in it, should I toss it or??? TIA for the help

Kat

Dont toss the Dried out rock it can be used again... we call it base rock or dead rock..
Pics would help to tell you what you have.
in a sump its empty.. a place for skimmer, return pump and heaters.. some put LR in the sump but IMO it just traps waste like bioballs and the can build up nitrates over time.
take this time to read , read and read some more to get the info you need before jumping in. this hobby is getting easier and easier over time because of the inovatoins.
How does the water get from the tank into the sump? over flow box or is the tank drilled.

I think I will take a few pictures in the next few days, so and you take a look at it... the tank itself has an area in the back corner that is divided off,in a triangular shape that has a hole in the bottom of it with tubing running to the sump, that I think is an overflow area? the skimmer is hanging on the sump (outside the sump) so much tubing going everywhere it kinda has me confused, went to LPS and found out quickly they know no more than I do about the system or what is needed for salt water tanks. I accidently found this place last night and have been reading it for HOURS....so when you say toss the bio balls and add rock, what kind of rock would you add? I will try to get some photos and figure out how to download them on this site in the next few days if I can, I really do appreciate your advice seaham

The sectioned off area is the overflow. There should be two holes in there, one for the drain to a sump and one for the return.

Pics of everything will help identify the parts you have and how they go together.

Welcome to AA :smilecolros:

thanks for the welcome cmor :) after I get this thing cleaned I will take some photos and try to get them posted, that may take a while, but that will give me plenty of time for more reading and research. Am really happy I found this site, it has helped a lot. Hope everyone has a safe and funfilled weekend :!:

Back
Top Bottom