Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2004, 05:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
Its a good thing you moved up to a 125, it sounds like you were way overstocked in your 55.

Chances are your biowheels, substrate and rock (how many lbs did you have?) were not enough to keep the tank from cycling. I hope I'm wrong, but I would be prepared for some large water changes.

BTW welcome to AA, and good luck with your fish

Old 08-09-2004, 05:40 PM   #12

I have aprx 75 / 100 lbs of live rock ,when I did do the switch I added the old sand and filters along with four new bags of live sand that has all the bio in it ,I added an additional filter but put they old ones on there as well to keep things going
I only have seven fish in that tank , four large and three small
Old 08-10-2004, 02:06 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Here I go again preaching about the QT tank. Gonna use the 44 gallon as your QT? I'd recommend it.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2004, 02:46 PM   #14

You lost me there austinsdad
Old 08-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

That message was for clown monarch, the thread originator. Assuming this is a new tank setup (the 125 gallon), I wuz hoping the 44 gallon tank would be used for quarantining.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Old 08-10-2004, 03:50 PM   #16

any thoughts on how I can get my ammonia down on my 125 gal tank recently upgraded from a 55 gal?
Old 08-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #17

the ammonia seemed to laugh at the water change, helped the nitrites but did not faze the ammonia
Old 08-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

austinsdad -

Yep, after visiting this site for a few days I decided the best use of the 44 would be as a quarantine tank. The last time I had the 44 set up as SW it ran well for maybe a year or so, but then a new blue tang pretty much ruined the whole tank.

The tank has a homemade hood with 4-15 watt bulbs (lighting is a problem with the odd-shaped 44 gal) and a fluval canister. Because of the way the tank fits in the corner, there's no room for a skimmer. I'm thinking of keeping perc clowns in this tank and trying to breed them, along with using it as a QT. I'm assuming after I establish a number of new fish in the 125, the 44 won't get much use as a QT anymore...

How would you suggest I set up the QT tank?

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:21 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Might consider moving the tank out of the corner enuf to fit a hang on skimmer. I'm presuming the tank is a V shaped back and round front? Heck, put in in the laundry room or something if you can where it aesthetics don't matter. It's not gonn be pretty anyway - a bare bottom, a few pcs of PVC pipe, and maybe a couple of small dead rock.

Maybe someone else might pick up on this and help you, especially on the lighting situation.

Since you're gettig started, you'll be using your tank to QT each new addition and that could take some months. Can't add fish too fast anyway because the necessary good bacteria has to keep pace. Even after QTing and stocking, I feel better keeping my QT tank running just in case of illness and the need to treat out of the main tank.

Old 08-11-2004, 02:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I put this together when I moved my current tank from its owners house. If you find it useful, great. I highly recommend using the water from the tank if you can. As for the fish, quite honestly, they were the ez part. You will have some spikes in Ammonia/Nitrite due to some things dying off. However, I headed that off by having some Bio Spira on hand. Once I saw the spike start, I added some...No more spike. You should also have a backup plan as to how your going to store everything overnight or possibly even longer in the event something should go wrong. One thing I had not counted on was placing the water back into the tank. Sand went everywhere causing the water to cloud up. I was lucky, a friend had a large cannister filter that helped me get the water cleared in about 5 - 7 hours. I did have a gramma crash over night, but he recovered the next day no problem. Also, this is *the* opportune time to make any changes to the layout of the tank. I wish I had put more thought into mine, but I was so flustered by the idea that I may have to house everything overnight in buckets (which I had not plannedon), I hurried and placed all the LR and corals back in without thinking once the water was clear enough. O well, make for a good project sometime..If you like I can send pics of what to expect..

http://www.fishdomain.com/forum/read...&i=4534&t=4534

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com