Advice needed on my start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dary421

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I've been out of the saltwater tanks for the last 20 years or so but ive decided it's time again to get back into it .
I live in San Diego and have visited two of our well established saltwater aquarium shops for advice getting started again...
My purpose was to set up a 75 gallon triggerfish tank and possibly add something later if it seemed feasible .
One shop advised me to use only about 60# LR and a protein skimmer and a powerhead , another said to use less LR and use a canister or another stlye filter ,A skimmer and a powerhead.
Sooooo, I've acquired a eshopps protien skimmer rated for 100 gallons, a powerhead rated for about a 1000 gph, a eheim ecco2236 rated for 80 gallons and a ac110 HOB filter standing by.
Ill be using RO water,...so two very well known shops and two different therorys about getting started,....MY idea would be to use the filters I've already acquired ,with the skimmer and the power head and maybe using around 30-50# of LR, ... Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated , I just want to get off on the right foot. Thankyou, Dary

Hi Dary,

I also have been out of saltwater tank for a long time and soon to aquire 2 tanks.

IMHO, already you got more than you need to start with as far as filtration is. Just make sure you include the protein skimmer and as much LR as the tank can accommodate and not over crowding a pleasant view. Others are bonuses or may I also say a waste of power and additional maintenance jobs to keep all equipment in tip top working order. If I were you I would now focus on lighting requirement, temp control and refugium. The more the equipment you have the more the point of failure and the more heat it produces and the more power consumption since these things run on 24 hrs and the harder to control a constant temperature. You may also want to have an inch to 2 inches of live sand.

Just my 2 cents.
Stevie

Yep,..I omitted the fact that I was going to put in a couple of inches of live sand also,...regarding the heating and lighting.., I have purchased a 250 watt non breakable heater and have a wave point T5HO 2x54watt. " sunlight and blue light" tubes..,I suppose this is a little overkill but who knows what the future holds in store.... Please feel free to express your opinions if you think I'm on track or if I've screwed up somewhere,...thanks again, Dary

Usual recommendation is 1 1/2 - 2 pounds of LR per gallon of tank capacity for biological filtration. Recently I've been seeing those numbers drop to the 1 - 1 1/2 pounds. If using extremely porous pacific LR I can see the lower end. If using denser Carribean rock then the higher end should be used.

I also recommend having 2 heaters, with one set a degree or 2 below the other. This is for failure. With the El Nino you've had, and the predictions for it to continue next year you should consider that.

We have some great articles you should read.

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

Quarantine article

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro

Refugiums

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

Next time I visit my niece out there I hope to see your fabulous reef tank :cool:

Back
Top Bottom