Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Advice on Algea Growth

About 2.5 - 3 months ago I set up my 150g tank... This is the first tank I have ever had and i've been doing a lot of research and trying to keep this thing in great shape. Within the last couple of weeks there has been an outbreak of brown algea... Also some that has a red tint to it. The brown stuff is almost stringy hanging off of the live rock. Then there is a brown/reddish mat that seems to cover anywhere that light touches the sand. I've been doing a lot of vacuuming and a lot of water changes.. I've cut my lights back to 6 hours a day, and trying to feed less now... What can I do to rid this stuff? Water parameters seem to be fine, I have checked PH, Salinity, Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0110.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	58199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0112.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	58200  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0113.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	58201  

Ztkirkpatric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
The red tint tells me it`s cyano bacteria. Read these

Cyanobacteria, AKA Red Slime Algae

How to Battle Cyanobacteria: What To Do When You Just Can't Get Rid of It | Suite101.com
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

algea, growth

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com