Advice on moving my 180 gallon reef tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

couture99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just wondering if anyone has any tips. We are redoing the floors in the room that my 180 gallon reef tank sits.... I'm tempted to just cut the carpet around the base of the cabinet, and edge the new laminate up to it, like we would the wall... Lazy maybe... But I'm thinking it may not be a good idea to try and move it from one side of the room to the other... Anyone else out there have experience with this?

I recently did my floors in laminate from carpet. Here is what I did.

1. Drained the tank except for the rocks and sand
2. Cut the carpet around the tank and removed the rest of the carpet in the room
3. Bought 6 pieces of 10' electrical conduit at home depot (I think it was 1")
4. Put the first piece of the conduit against the front edge of the stand
5. Me and 3 other guys slid the tank forward onto the conduit
6. put another piece about 8" from the first piece
7. slid the tank forward, kept doing this until the tank was completely on the conduit pieces until the tank was in the middle of the room
8. pulled up the carpet where the tank was
9. did the laminate where the tank was
10. when the laminate was in place i rolled the tank back to the edge of the laminate and then slid it into place on the laminate

If you need more info you can PM me. I did this with a 240 gallon tank. I had the fish back in the tank within about 6-7 hours. That was fresh water though, so salt will take a little longer probably.

Last edited:
I moved from a 55 to a 125, and it was a pain but not impossible. I used a 10 gallon, and 3 large plastic tubs and a couple big plastic trash cans. I only used about 25 gallons of existing water, new sand, and all my live rock.

Typical process, water from tank into tubs, seperate corals and rock into tubs, fish and invertsand into to 10 gallon. I had about 90 gallons of rodi mixed and heated ready to go. Everything out moved 55 and stand out, moved 125 in. Got plumbing all set, sump ready over night. Next added sand, added water, tested system. Once all good, added rock, let run, got temp and salinity good tested water, water good, added everything back.

Took all weekend, long days but my goal was to minimize time in tubs away from lights. 2-3 days isn't a problem, I'd be a little concerned if it was much longer.

It can be done, the key to success is having everything ready to go. Good luck.

Thanks:) will figure it out. I like the conduit idea. It's gonna be more wk just to move this bloody tank than it is to do the actual floors lil

I was going to do the floor around the tank at first, then thought about when I went to sell the house I would have to do the floor. If you buy extra flooring, you could do it when you move out if you wanted to....

Back
Top Bottom