Advice on Proposed Fish List

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petersolson

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is now fully cycled, and the cleanup crew has been hard at work for three weeks. FINALLY, time to start thinking about some fish! I would like to end up with the following fish:

Blue/Green Chromis x 3
True Percula Clowns x 2
Yellow Tang x 1
Yellowtail Damsel x 1
Dwarf Flame Angel x 1
Lawnmower Blenny x 1
Flame Cardinal x 1.

I know that is near or over the max limit, so i may never get there. I am looking for some advice on both compatibility and, more importantly, the order in which to add the fish to minimize problems. I also plan to add a couple of cleaner shrimp. Thanks in advance.

I would ditch the damsel. Flame angels sometimes are picky eaters. I think other than that you will be ok. Although IMO 9 fish in a 75 gallon is a lot. Especially sine the tangs get pretty good size.

I would swap out the damsel and cardinal for two more chromis. I've nothing against damsels but, the chromis would be happier in a larger group. Also, everything I've read about cardinals is that they are nocturnal and also do better in groups. As for order of adding, the only thing I would recommend is that the tang be added last. The lawnmower blenny is cool but be sure you have enough algae in the tank to sustain him. (they like that green film algae) Some will take to prepared foods, some don't. Mine never did.

Check my profile for some suggestions. I do have a purple tang, but have an LFS buddy that he can go to when the time comes. Otherwise, there are a lot of smaller fish in my 75g.

Agree, I would loose the Cardinal. Disagree a bit about the damsel. A singular one should be OK. Just put him in after the chromis.

I love my yellow tail blue damsel - he swims beside my perculas, and likes to eat at the nori clip with my yellow tang. He was my first fish, but since I have a lot of hiding areas in my lr, nobody has trouble getting along.
Good luck, and remember to go slow - one or two fish at a time after qt.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I guess the chromis will go in first, then the clowns, then the yellow-tail (with breath held for that one) and then see how things are going. I will ditch the cardinal. do you think the tang should go in after the flame angel or before, and how about the blenny?

Blenny can go at any time, no one should mess with him.
I would place the Flame, then the Tang.
Oh ya, go slow and don't forget to qt each fish for 4 weeks before adding. :wink:
I know damsels (many times they deserve it) get a bum rap. But if the sequence is done right and you only add one, you should be Ok.
My Damsel is a sweetheart, gets along fine with the others. Beautiful fish IMO.

Attachments

• flirp0001_158.jpg
    flirp0001_158.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 59
Yeah , IMO Damsels Are Wonderful fish To Have , The Flame Angels Arent Too Hardy , I Would Rather Get A Coral Beauty Or IMO You Should Ditch The Flame And Get A Singapore Angel , They Are Beautiful!!

Back
Top Bottom