Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-17-2004, 10:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Advice on setting up a 220g!

OK, me a Chase need your help. If you remember Chase is the guy that owns the lfs that I have become good friends with. He has a brand new 220g tank that he wants me to set up, and I want your help.

The tank is not drilled, and that is out of the question so what can I do to make this a nice reef tank, and that is not super expensive. What is some good hardware that you recommend? Skimmer, lights, etc....

Also I am going to go with a dsb and I was wondering how much I need.

We are going to fill it tomorrow and get it started with some LR.

Remember to Keep Christ First!
revhtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I heard taking a lot of pics during the setup and posting them on this forum makes coraline algae grow 50 times faster :P

*26 freshwater*
2x Sunburst Platys (2M, 2F) // 3x Neon Tetras (?) // 2x Cherry Barbs (1M, 1F) // 2x YoYo Loaches (?) // 1x Bushy Nose Pleco (M) // 1x Clown Pleco (?) //

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Rev - I can't offer advice but I'm glad to hear that Chase is still plugging along and you're still helping him.
Jchillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 10:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Demisions please.. If its going to be reef at 220G forget cheap, that option is out at around 75G, less you luck up on a deal. However, if it were me (and it ain't) I would consider starting with VHO. VHO is still a lot of bang for the buck and can get you into softies, shrooms, zoos etc right off. Not much more to tell without details. As for the DSB, thats a risk the owner probably should take if its going to be viewed by customers. Nothing more embarrassing than a tank full of dying crtitters cause the dsb crashed out..imho..

To fail to plan is to plan to fail.
MarineFlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 11:11 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You might look into an Ecosystem type filtration system. I'm not endorsing it as I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's an interesting concept. That would eliminate the need for the DSB and the skimmer which would save you some $$. You wouldn't have to buy an Ecosystem sump...you could easily build one to use their system. Just a thought. I'm going to set up a 55g soon using the mud/caulerpa sump and see how it does.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Well, I have almost 500 lbs of sand in mine for a 4" sand bed. My tank has built in overflows so yours will be a little different.
I would definately go with a overflow and a sump system. I use a 55 gallon sump. If can house all your pumps, skimmer, machanical filteration, etc.
If you section if off, you could alway make a section of it into a fuge and eliminate the need for a DSB is the main. That is my eventual plan.
I use a HSA250 for a skimmer and it is a monster, does a great job. For a return, you could create a closed loop return with a SQWD and a monster Mag pump (like a 1250). Just a few ideas.
Have fun!!!

quarryshark is offline   Reply With Quote

20 gallon, setting up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com