Advice on setting up a 220g!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

revhtree

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK, me a Chase need your help. If you remember Chase is the guy that owns the lfs that I have become good friends with. He has a brand new 220g tank that he wants me to set up, and I want your help.

The tank is not drilled, and that is out of the question so what can I do to make this a nice reef tank, and that is not super expensive. What is some good hardware that you recommend? Skimmer, lights, etc....

Also I am going to go with a dsb and I was wondering how much I need.

We are going to fill it tomorrow and get it started with some LR.

Thanks.

I heard taking a lot of pics during the setup and posting them on this forum makes coraline algae grow 50 times faster :p

Demisions please.. If its going to be reef at 220G forget cheap, that option is out at around 75G, less you luck up on a deal. However, if it were me (and it ain't) I would consider starting with VHO. VHO is still a lot of bang for the buck and can get you into softies, shrooms, zoos etc right off. Not much more to tell without details. As for the DSB, thats a risk the owner probably should take if its going to be viewed by customers. Nothing more embarrassing than a tank full of dying crtitters cause the dsb crashed out..imho..

-PC

You might look into an Ecosystem type filtration system. I'm not endorsing it as I haven't tried it yet, but I think it's an interesting concept. That would eliminate the need for the DSB and the skimmer which would save you some $$. You wouldn't have to buy an Ecosystem sump...you could easily build one to use their system. Just a thought. I'm going to set up a 55g soon using the mud/caulerpa sump and see how it does.

Well, I have almost 500 lbs of sand in mine for a 4" sand bed. My tank has built in overflows so yours will be a little different.
I would definately go with a overflow and a sump system. I use a 55 gallon sump. If can house all your pumps, skimmer, machanical filteration, etc.
If you section if off, you could alway make a section of it into a fuge and eliminate the need for a DSB is the main. That is my eventual plan.
I use a HSA250 for a skimmer and it is a monster, does a great job. For a return, you could create a closed loop return with a SQWD and a monster Mag pump (like a 1250). Just a few ideas.
Have fun!!!

Back
Top Bottom