advice on tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iwantareef16

Aquarium Advice Regular
i am in the research stage of starting a reef for my 55 gal so heres what i got

4 65 watt bulbs 10000 k and atinic
tetra hang on power filter to start out with that and change it to the filstar XP3
hang on berlin turbo protein skimmer
about 110 lbs of live sand play sand mixture
think about getting around 60 lbs of lr
2 125 gph powerheads
I was think of using the lighting system i got or should i use 2 110 watt bulbs
Also i think of starting with two clownfish
Any advice

iwantareef16 said:
i am in the research stage of starting a reef for my 55 gal so heres what i got

4 65 watt bulbs 10000 k and atinic
This light will sustain a decent amount of soft corals and LPS but not much more at lower depths.

tetra hang on power filter to start out with that and change it to the filstar XP3
hang on berlin turbo protein skimmer
about 110 lbs of live sand play sand mixture
think about getting around 60 lbs of lr
Neither of the powerfilters will be needed with the addition of the LR. Mechanical filtration is not needed in that case. They can however be used for alternate purposes if you already have them. I would also suggest you skip the LS and just opt for a good dry oolitic aragonite. The LR will seed the LS and accomplish the same goal without the added exspense.

2 125 gph powerheads
Not really enough for a marine tank. Basic water flow should be close to 10x the tank volume so I would opt for 2x 275-300 GPH instead.

I was think of using the lighting system i got or should i use 2 110 watt bulbs
If you already have the 4x65w, stick with those for now. If not, first decide on what types of corals if any you wish to keep. Once that's figured out, the lighting can be matched to their needs and not vice versa. Lighting can be quite pricy so it's something you want to do only once if possible.

Also i think of starting with two clownfish
Good choice on a starting fish. Most are quite hardy and will do well in a variety of settings.

I would definately suggest checking out the <<articles>> section.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom