Advice on what to get.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a while back i got this tank from some people who were moving and didnt want it anymore, so i decided to set up a saltwater aquarium in it. The tank is about 40g i think and is bow front. i have sand and some live rock (i plan to buy more with my next paycheck). I was wondering what i should put in it, as i have never had a saltwater tank before. I know i want a clown, and a few kinds of gobys but other than that what else could i put in there? Also i want invertebrates like crabs or feather dusters. I'm just not sure what to get. :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Feather dusters are very cool but watch crabs. There are some generally considered reef safe but I have heard stories of that not being the case. Skunk cleaner shrimp are very fun and cool additions. They will eat anything you feed the tank and they look neat, plus it's fun to show off your shrimp cleaning under your finger nails. That's right they will jump on your hand and start cleaning. Something you will want to have is snails. They are an essential part of the cuc(cleanup crew) some various ones for the glass and rocks and get some other ones for the sand. I personally have a mix of glass/rock snails but I only have nassarius snails for the sand. They have bred and now I have a pile of them that pop up like little submarines when I feed the tank. I forget the names of the glass/rock cleaning snails I have other than my big 2, strawberry turban snail and an abalone.

Clowns should be good, a diamond watchman goby, royal gramma, bangaii cardinals are all good begginer fish, just try to get as much tank raised as you can, so they will live longer in the tank.

Thanks for all the good ideas! i defiantly want to get the cleaner shrimp as for the snails which kinds should i get exactally?

There are loads of fish options, clowns being the typical must have. Diamond watchman gobies are awesome but would suggest a lid as they like carpet surfing. Dart fish are another really attractive small fish also prone to jumping. Avoid damsels as they tend to be mean beyond their size and are a pain to remove. You could also get a goby shrimp pair, symbiotic relationship much like a clown and anemone. Depending on your plans for a reef tank you could also get dwarf angelfish, they have a reputation of coral nipping so if it's gonna be a reef I would try to stay away from them. Some people never have issue with them others do, your tank your choice. Avoid any tangs simply to big for your tank. Honestly I would go to to liveaquaria.com and browse their fish. They lost min tank size, feeding habits, size, temperament, reef safe or not. Good place to check out and they have most fish readily available in the hobby listed there along with a price so you can work somewhat of a budget.

also i want to get the feather duster too, my question being what do i feed them? do i spot feed or just let them filter feed? And if i spot feed what food?

Heres what ive got in my 37g mix reef-

1 flame angel (i wouldnt get any dwarf angel in a 40g though, he will pace the tank like a mad man, im moving this guy to my 60g cube)
1 valentini puffer (will nip at LPS but hasnt attacked my softies or SPS)
A pair of purple fire fish
1 starry blenny

And my invertebrates-

1 caribbean porcelain crab
1 emerald crab
30 assorted hermits (dwarf zebra,red leg, blue leg, and 8 electric blues)
7 red bandit trochus snails
4 nassarius snails
1 snowball urchin
1 blue tuxedo urchin
1 cleaner shrimp

Many options is that size tank. Clowns will be fine in that size, i wouldnt try multiple gobys in one system. How about a yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp pair? I have on in my 20 long with 2 ocellaris clowns and never have any problems.

image-3884666533.jpg

Thats my yellow watchman goby. Make sure to have a tight fitting lid though because they will jump if given the chance. I use plastic wrap from the grocery store and triple wrap it to absorb and jumping by the goby or other fish.

How about a fairy wrasse aswell?
Gives a pop of color to the tank depending on which type you get.

Thanks for all the good ideas! i defiantly want to get the cleaner shrimp as for the snails which kinds should i get exactally?

For snails i like red bandit trochus as they are really fast and are good at cleaning algea of the glass, mine come out at night. They are also one of the few snails that has a foot long enough so that it can flip itself over if it falls, which for other snails will result in death. Heres a pic of one from my 20

image-1572633928.jpg

Theres also margarita,turbo,astreae,cerith,conch,nassarius,bumblebee, and much more. Cleaner shrimps are awesome! Mine cleans my hand when im in the tank, and will eat anything fed.

Spot feed phytoplankton. Seachem makes a good type that will last 1-2 years.

I see no reason to do this. I have feather dusters and never give them anything, they just filter feed from the water column. Adding phyto will muck up your system IMO.

I see no reason to do this. I have feather dusters and never give them anything, they just filter feed from the water column. Adding phyto will muck up your system IMO.

Oh, so thats why my skimmers been foaming like nuts! Didnt know that, thanks bribo

Ok so Main tank: Goby (undecided kind) Ocellaris Clown, Feather duster
Clean-up crew: Hermits, Bandit Trouchus snail, Cleaner Shrimp, Nassarius snail

i want some inverts too (other than whats already up here) maybe and anemone? btw sorry for the repetitiveness i just want get everything right before my tank is done cycling.
And my last thing, my tank doesnt really have a lid and i know that lots of gobies are prone to jumping so what can i do? someone mentioned saran rap?

Don't use Saran Wrap, what most people do is use egg crate. You can find it at any hardware store in the lighting section under the name lighting diffuser. Just cut it to size and drop it on top. If you have a centre brace you can cut it into 2 pieces so you only have to remove one side to access the tank. The other option is to get a kit to make a screen, like you have on the windows of your house. You could use screen found at the hardware store also but if you do make sure it's not metal. I've also heard of a transparent chicken wire also sold at hardware stores that can be used or you can order some transparent screen from bulk reef supply, I would suggest the smaller size opening one. Transparent obviously won't block as much light but it you use the standard black screen it will block more.

ok thanks! i never though of that ill look around and see what i can find. Thanks for the great ideas!!

Don't use Saran Wrap, what most people do is use egg crate. You can find it at any hardware store in the lighting section under the name lighting diffuser. Just cut it to size and drop it on top. If you have a centre brace you can cut it into 2 pieces so you only have to remove one side to access the tank. The other option is to get a kit to make a screen, like you have on the windows of your house. You could use screen found at the hardware store also but if you do make sure it's not metal. I've also heard of a transparent chicken wire also sold at hardware stores that can be used or you can order some transparent screen from bulk reef supply, I would suggest the smaller size opening one. Transparent obviously won't block as much light but it you use the standard black screen it will block more.

May i ask why not to useing saran wrap? It works fine in my tanks?

BRS sells clear mesh in 1/4 and 1/2 inch and the parts to make window screen lids. You can get the screen parts at any hardware store. If your not handy you could have a screen shop make them. The clear mesh lets far more light than egg crate. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom