Advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShelleyM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I am new to this forum I was just wondering what it takes to convert from a freshwater to a saltwater tank I currently have a 100 gallon bow front tank that has 2 Ehim pro 3 canister filters I already have lighting that had actinic lights mixed with regular ones I have chiclids in it right now I only have 2 parrot fish left after a equipment malfunction and was thinking of switching to saltwater and was wondering if I could run canister filters instead of a sump and I was also wondering what other equipment I would need to make the change I am on the lookout for a uv filter and didn't know what else I needed any advice would be great thanks

have you done any research on saltwater? does the house you live in, have copper pipes? if do you won't be able to use the same tank. what you will need is powerheads, 40-60 lbs of live rock, salt, hydrometer/refractometer, test kits, a RODI water station, protein skimmer

All my pipes are plastic no copper in my house I have been researching but I haven't been able to get good info on canister filters in a
Salt water tank

You can use canister filters youjust hav eto clean them weekly if not twice a week. A sump would be your best bet. less of a hassle to clean.

Hi Shelley!

I am going to agree that while you can use the canisters you will want to go with the sump. Also, since you will be emptying the tank of it's contents anyway you may want to look into drilling it, it's a lot easier than it seems. But if you cannot drill (glass may be tempered) the hob overflows work great look at the cpr. Also I would look for a good protien skimmer before a UV sterilizer.

Good luck on the build!

-Eric

This is starting to sound expensive lol my tank is fully enclosed except for the 2 holes in the back for my canister lines I really want to change to a saltwater set up seeing that I only have 2 chiclids left I guess I will need to do a lot more research lol

Average start up with out tank, is very high. You need good lighting if you're doing corals, lots of live rock, sand, good heaters, salt/water, sump, skimmer and pumps.

Dont let the start up price deter you. 3/4 of us salties wouldnt be here today if the start up price wasnt well worth it

I want to start one so bad I love my fresh water tank but I want to try a salt water now more research here I come lol

I want to start one so bad I love my fresh water tank but I want to try a salt water now more research here I come lol

Get ready because there is no end to research in this hobby.

I constantly hear my wife saying "enough with the research already!"

Back
Top Bottom