advice please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterj

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking to start a saltwater reef tank. I've had a brackish water for the last year. Ready to move on to salt water. Trying to make a budget out for cost. I see at my lfs cure figi rock is 6.99 lb. I'm doing a 75 gallon. They say 1 to 1.5 lbs. Per gallon. Whats the best way to go with this. By cured and uncured or go all cured. Go all uncured. Never dealt with live rock before always had canister filters before. What are the up and downs of going either way. My budget is a nice size for this tank. But don't want to spend needlessly. When I could use the money elsewhere on this set up.

I've been doing my reading filter wise as of now going with sump and a good skimmer. I'm going to do all dry rock it's cheaper and to cycle is longer but I'm in no rush. Also planning on a HOB refugium on my sump in the future once I got it running. Don't know if u wanted to do a canister still but all I'm seeing that is easier with a sump

Id go with 80lbs of rock. You can do 3/4 cured and 1/4 uncured. Id also get a sump going and if not a good skimmer

Going to do a sump, skimmer, refiugium, think I'm going to go uncured to save money, because the sump is going to cost a lot more then I thought. I'm in no rush. Want to make as little mistakes as possible. With purchases. So I don't wind up having to rebuy different things .

Going to do a sump, skimmer, refiugium, think I'm going to go uncured to save money, because the sump is going to cost a lot more then I thought. I'm in no rush. Want to make as little mistakes as possible. With purchases. So I don't wind up having to rebuy different things .

I meant to say 3/4 uncured and 1/4 cured. That way it can help cycle your tank.

You can build your own sump/fuge for really cheap and it's very easy. There's a ton of videos on it. I'm making one out of a 55 gallon for my 150 and its probably going to cost around $80

When I built my system I went with Dry rock from Reefrocks. Its the same and the BRS reefsaver rock and marco rocks, except its cleaner then the others, IMO. I used about 90% of the and a few small pieces of live from another tank to seed it. Its the best rock ive used and I highly reccomend it to everyone.

What area of Jersey are you from?

Sounds good thanks. I'm from williamstown south jersey. I'm still in the planning stages. Planning on trying to do it right the first time. I'm looking into getting my sump setup from lifereef. There on backorder till march. So I've got plenty of time to ask questions and do my research.

Williamstown? Odd I just asked another guy on the Dendroboard where he was from and he said Williamstown as well. Same Guy?

If you are trying to save money then skip out on the live rock entirely and buy dry rock. Doing that lets you skip out on any potential nasties that could come in with live rock as well as saving heaps of money. Check out Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Supplies - Bulk Reef Supply for a nice selection of dry rock. Either way buying uncured live rock or not you will still have to cycle the tank and while it might take a little longer to cycle dry rock you will likely be saving close to $200

Back
Top Bottom