Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Advice please!

Hi I just bought a nuvo 38 mini and accessories from CL. I was wondering if there was anything else I should do after I cleaned the tank with vinegar. Can I add live sand and live rock now? I rinsed the tank with a water hose.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxsergxX View Post
Hi I just bought a nuvo 38 mini and accessories from CL. I was wondering if there was anything else I should do after I cleaned the tank with vinegar. Can I add live sand and live rock now? I rinsed the tank with a water hose.
I'd let it thoroughly dry and you'll want to fill it with RO or RODI water to prevent Algae outbreaks. If you're doing a reef tank then you'll have to use rodi anyway. Also are you mixing your own water or buying pre-made SW?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:46 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
I'd let it thoroughly dry and you'll want to fill it with RO or RODI water to prevent Algae outbreaks. If you're doing a reef tank then you'll have to use rodi anyway. Also are you mixing your own water or buying pre-made SW?
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's fully dry, I buy my water from the lfs. So my next step would be filling my tank with RO water then remove and add salt water?
Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxsergxX View Post
Thanks for the reply. Yes it's fully dry, I buy my water from the lfs. So my next step would be filling my tank with RO water then remove and add salt water?
why fill with ro and then remove it? If you're going to fill it with ro, just go to a pet store and buy some salt mix and mix it in the tank to 1.023-1.025 then add your sand and rock. (it will cloud the water but it will clear up after everything settles) That will save you from wasting the rodi and spending extra on SW. All you need to mix it is a container (your tank in this case), Heater and powerheads.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkey3425 View Post
why fill with ro and then remove it? If you're going to fill it with ro, just go to a pet store and buy some salt mix and mix it in the tank to 1.023-1.025 then add your sand and rock. (it will cloud the water but it will clear up after everything settles) That will save you from wasting the rodi and spending extra on SW. All you need to mix it is a container (your tank in this case), Heater and powerheads.

Ok thanks for the info. Is it also possible to use water from a 24g nano cube that is already running? Or just use new saltwater.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Just use new water there is no benefit to using the old water.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
Just use new water there is no benefit to using the old water.
I think I'm ready to start tomorrow. Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

using new water puts you back the nearest to perfect water is my theory. Id mix up some reef salt mix. Seems to help keep everything better stabilized in my experience. Plus its so little of a price increase it's almost not worth saving the pennies on plain mix.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com