Advise w/ Purchasing Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Help please, I’m looking to purchase a nano-cube for marine use. I’d like to start with around 20G in size, and something that is a complete package. There are a lot of different choices out there, if anyone can give some tips. It looks like most of them don’t come with heaters, so I’m guessing I just purchase a separate submersible heater? I’m looking to put in some corals, anenomes, hermit crabs, star fish, shrimp, and only a few fish. I;ve seen the Eclipse 12G, but that seems too small. Currently looking at the Oceanic BioCube 29G that looks promising.

The bio-cubes and nano cubes don't have the correct lighting for anemones and most coral. They are fine for softies and most LPS, but that's about it. Anything less than 40g is too small for an anemone anyway IMO as they will just sting your coral as they move around trying to find a location they like.

You would most likely need supplemented flow on the kits bigger than 14g. You would need a heater(s), test kits, thermometer, salt, and a refractometer as they don't come with those supplies which are needed.

They are nice tanks from what I have seen, but they do have a few flaws here and there. Welcome to AA!

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that the anemones would hurt the coral. I really would like to try a smaller kit before I dive into something big. I would love to hear some feedback if anyone has actually had any of these kits and what they've been able to keep in them. Reviews showed that they've had corals flourish, but you can never be too sure.

One thing about aquariums is the bigger the better... the biggest you can afford will be best, and you can get a 40g breeder setup for about the same price as one of those bio cubes... the bigger the tank, the easier it is to maintain and the easier it is to keep water parameters stable. Welcome to AA :)

check around for a used set up. I have seen plenty of nice sized 75-90 gallon for around the same price as a new biocube. really, those small ones are for experienced reef keepers.

really, those small ones are for experienced reef keepers.

I disagree. They are fine for beginners if you do your research, cycle the tank properly, and add a correct sized bioload along with your standard weekly pwc. If you just get some idiot that adds everything at once on the same day the tank is setup, yes they are bound to go down the road to disaster.

You can get a biocube HQi or a JBJ nanocube with HQI or LED. Both have little refugiums built in and protein skimmers. I had a biocube as my first sw tank. I did a lot of research and took it slow. You could get a breeder but they are not as nice looking, IMO. There is a ton of after market for the nanos now.

You can get a biocube HQi or a JBJ nanocube with HQI or LED. Both have little refugiums built in and protein skimmers. I had a biocube as my first sw tank. I did a lot of research and took it slow. You could get a breeder but they are not as nice looking, IMO. There is a ton of after market for the nanos now.

If I remember correctly, both companies discontinued the HQI hoods. The LED units are kind of rediculous pricewise, and with LED being in the infant stages still, I wouldn't trust it, but that's just me. The skimmers need to be bought separetly, but aren't needed, and are moreover just junk IMO.

The biocube just came out and is not a hood. I dont know about the jbj. The skimmer I have is junk and I will replace as soon as i figure out which one to get. I still think they are good tanks. They do take some time to get everything situated. On a big tank you can buy big, well known equipment. I am stuck buying experimental stuff that may or may not work. But with all the work and money I have put in, a big tank seems scary. I have a 180 in the garage just waiting for me to get the nerve to fill it with SW.

I disagree. They are fine for beginners if you do your research, cycle the tank properly, and add a correct sized bioload along with your standard weekly pwc. If you just get some idiot that adds everything at once on the same day the tank is setup, yes they are bound to go down the road to disaster.

OK chief.

you also recommend 1000cc sportbikes to beginners as long as they keep it under control?

BTW, if you read the OP, they want
I’m looking to put in some corals, anenomes, hermit crabs, star fish, shrimp, and only a few fish
so recommending a larger tank doesn't seem that unreasonable.

OK chief.

you also recommend 1000cc sportbikes to beginners as long as they keep it under control?

BTW, if you read the OP, they want so recommending a larger tank doesn't seem that unreasonable.

No idea on sportbikes thing as I have never even looked at them, just saying that a larger tank is not required and that a smaller tank is fine for beginners given that the proper research is done. Here's an example....I started a 20g as my first salty tank which is still running today with no problems except for a few aiptasia, and I am only 14. ;)

Back
Top Bottom