Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aggression Problem

I mail-ordered 4 maroon clownfish for my 46 bow. When they came one was twice as big as the other 3. Since day one, the big one has been continually on a hunt and kill mission and goes throughout the whole tank destroying his buddies. He's killed off two and was working on the 3rd when I finally isolated the bully in a guppy breeder box which was the only thing I had on hand for an in-tank refugium. Now the bullied clownfish has taken over the bubble anemone and the big one is sulking in the breeder and hasn't eaten for two days; an unstable situation for sure. Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Old 01-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
GSM's are extremely aggressive toward their own kind. It was inevitable the large one was going to kill off the others. Sorry for your losses. The large one MAY allow the one remaining to live if it decides to mate with it, but there are no guarantees.
I have an established large GSM and introduced a much smaller GSM to my tank in hopes they would become a mated pair. The large one terrorized the small one for a week. I was sure it was going to kill it. But, after about a month she finally allowed the male in the same area and now they are a mated pair. As I understand it, they all start out as males and the largest of the group becomes female. When the female dies off, the next largest male changes to female.

This is in my experience only, others may have had different results.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I googled on GSM and couldn't find out what it means as an aquarium acronym. Can you help me out on this? I'm sure it's very logical, but I just don't know what it is.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

He means your clownfish. I think GSM is an acronym for Gold Striped Maroon Clownfish.

I think usmcmarc summed it up well. Joining up "unmated" pairs of maroon clownfish is like rolling the dice, and from what I've heard the odds aren't good. Sorry for the losses, but in the end, four maroons in a 46g was not going to be a happy place.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
Sorry....GSM = Gold Stripe Maroon. Now that I look at it, I dont even know if you have the Gold Stripe variety..but none the less...as I understand maroons in general are still VERY agressive.

Thanks for the clarification Kurt.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have to agree that 4 is too many in that size tank. I have two in a 125 and they fight like cats and dogs. You might want to see if someone will take two of them. JMO

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aggression

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com