Aggressive 55 stock sound ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
didnt get my light like i was hopeing for to go reef so im just gunna stick with the crappy 36 watt and go fowlr(ish). im going to scrap up some money for a better filter just to let evry1 know. (sump is sadly out of the question so whats the next best thing?)

for now im thinking:
1 fuzzy dwarf lion
1 snowflake eel
1 maroon clown (YSM maybe) ((how bout a maited pair))
and 1 coral beauty
and maybe some damsels depending on how it all works out.

i know my cuc would be extreemly limited because of the fish so i would be thinking some longspine urchins maybe? and maybe as large as possible arrow crab for when all of the fish are tiny(ish)? EDIT: and maybe some tube nems? and how about lobsters? (larger to start of course)
first fowlr so im open to anything!
thanks!

just for laughs this is my old list that i looked at earlier. wayyyyyyyyyyyy too many fish and horrible combos and such.

2 or 4 clarki
copperbanded butterfly
yellow tang
blue tang
niger trigger
[FONT=&quot]2-4 Bicolor Pseudochromis [/FONT]
some(3ish) blue or green chromis'
2 red scooter blennies
2-4 cardinals
fuzzy dwarf lion
2-4 firefish
bullet goby or 2-4 diamond gobies

lol i look back at this and i see how crazy i was.
thanks!

You have done some great research. Now, you will need to stock according to fish size, but this part might be tough. You will need GSMs to be larger than the lion (GSMs are damsel fish by the way and very aggressive), so they should be added last.
A lobster will quickly out grow a 55.
An arrow crab can and will spear fish for food.
I like the idea of the long spined urchin. You might be able to get a larger pincushion or pencil. They chow down on about anything.
I believe you should be safe with a variation of snails. I like nassis, ceriths and margaritas. The eel or lion might try to snack on a few of them, but if you keep them fed, the CUC should be ok.

yeah, i was wondering about the urchins too, it seems like they would be ok and be able to protect themselfs. so snails would still be ok? and how bout stars? and i thought an arrow crab would need to be defending its self rather than hunt fish? and hermits are a no correct?
and what would be the best type of filtration (besides a sump =[ ).
thanks!

I've never kept eels but when Mike or Cindy see this thread (along with any other folks that have direct experience) can give you better advice.
I THINK stars would be ok, the eel/lion eat crustaceans (critters with exoskeletons, like crabs and shrimp) and possibly smaller fish.
Hermits should be ok as well, but with the rest there is no real guarantee.
What kind of filtration are talking about....bio, mechanical or chemical?

just the best possible type of filter besides a sump like hob, cannister, skimmer, a combo, or what?

If you have plenty of LR, and keep up with the PWCs, you really don't need an extra filter. You could a a fuge and some macro for additional nutrient export. I see your concern with the messy eaters, but if you follow the above everything should be fine.
On a personal note. I like cannister filters, so I can add LR rubble and other media like purigen or to temporarily add carbon.

I was thinking about a cannoster but people turned me away. And for a fuge what type? I'm on a cash restraint cuz I still can't legally work. Any good cannoster you would reccomend? And how often should I feed them and with what?
Thanks a bundle!

The lobster will be toast because of the eel and lion fish. Your CUC will be limited because of them.

Yup. I realize this. That's why I'm asking what would be safe with my fish selection? Stars crabs urchins snails or what? Anything?
Thanks!

Wow, looking back on my posts, I'm either bad at grammar, typing (i think that's it) or proofreading!
Mike, I thought I read a post where your nassis did pretty well even with your (R.I.P) beloved snowflake.
Nassis stay under the sand so they should be ok. What other snail worked well for you? I know the asternis did well also?

so i was just thinking about what order i would add things...
how does this sound:
snowflake eel
coral beauty
fuzzy lion
2 maroon clowns or ysm's
then depending on how things go, random damsels

cool?
thanks!

Yes Scott the nassirus snails did OK. He would go up to them and kind of sniff them but he would not mess with them. I would say they would be good for his tank but crabs and shrimps and lobster will not make it. I would also forget the damsels as your tank will be too heavily stocked.

ok thanks for all the help!
and for a reason to go to the lfs now and then could i get a bunch of tube nems?

Ditch the damsels and the coral beauty is iffy. Tube anemones could very well sting the lionfish, which spends much of its time perching.

Thanks. So why would the beauty be iffy? The nems? Would it nip? Is that the concern? And would the lion get used to it or like start swimming in theopen or something like that?
Thanks for all the help everyone!

The coral beauty may nip at corals. The lion would not get used the the stings and may cause him some health/stress issues. Lions typically either hide or perch on the LR. I have seen the volitans swim around quite a bit, but the one you are looking to add is a percher....they sit there and wait till their meals swim by.

Although dwarf lionfish tend to have small mouths, that doesn't rule out the possibility of it trying to swallow the coral beauty or damsels (unless you get a fairly large one i.e. adult). Many angels also have a tendency to nip the long rays of lionfish so that is why I say "iffy." Choose wisely if you go this route :) Scott is correct in that dwarf lions and many of their larger counterparts will perch within the liverock, which is why anemones of any sort are usually passed upon. Most snails should do fine with the eel (just make sure to stick train it) and possibly cleaner shrimp if the lionfish/eel accepts them for their cleaning abilities rather than an easy meal.

well the tank is gettin somewhere, my dad suprised me and stained the stand and hood so thats good. now im going to try to finish cleaning it later tonite. then we need to seal the newly stained stand/hood. so tomorrow i might try to re silicon the tank and then ill be able to keep gathering equipment and getting stuff going. i was also wondering if i should get a cannister still. just to cope with the messy eaters, thoughts? i was thinking a fluval something.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom