Aggressive clownfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Abbyrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have two large clown fish in my tank and every time I introduce a new fish they attack it. Is this normal? Or do I just have mean clownfish..

What kind of clownfish are they? And the can be very territorial...

They are amphiprion ocellaris. I got a small blue damsel and they are really beating him up. I separated them in the tank but I don't know if they will kill him so I'm not sure what to do.

Damsels are very aggressive themselves. He may be picking the fight.

Even if he is a quarter the size of the clown? He was given to me because a friend had a tank she didn't want anymore and he was the last fish she had. what do u think I should do?
Thanks for your advice

Honestly? IMO, damsels are mean no matter what, trade it in. Not the answer you wanted, but just my opinion.

Clown fish are damsels so they are teritorial. Mine like to bite me when I put my hands in the tank. As far as there tank mate its a damsel also so thus the aggression twords each other is common.

So you suggest I get rid of the blue damsel also?

Not nesseseraly if you like the fish keep it just keep in mind that it is aggressive and will have potential to be aggressive twords new fish. But its also up to you. Personaly im not a damsel fan but that's just me I do love clown fish so if I had a option it would be the clown lol

I'll probably just get rid of it. My clown fish are very large and I'd hate to have this fish take revenge when it's larger lol
Thanks for the help!

Abbyrose said:
I'll probably just get rid of it. My clown fish are very large and I'd hate to have this fish take revenge when it's larger lol
Thanks for the help!

IMO, yes, get rid of the blue damsel...

scubasteve03 said:
Clown fish are damsels so they are teritorial. Mine like to bite me when I put my hands in the tank. As far as there tank mate its a damsel also so thus the aggression twords each other is common.

What did you do to your clowns to make them dislike you.LOL
My two black misbars will lay in my hand when I put my hand in the water.

Haha that's sweet that they lay in your hand. My clown fish won't bite me but they bite my husband every time he puts his hand in the tank. they probably don't bite me because I'm the one that feeds them.

Ricksreef said:
What did you do to your clowns to make them dislike you.LOL
My two black misbars will lay in my hand when I put my hand in the water.

Well I didn't do anything its mainly the female that bites me. the pair of clown fish hosted my xenia so whenever I get close to there now home she let's me know that its her tank area lol

I am in the same boat. After I added a smaller Clownfish, My bigger one likes to attack me whenever I put my hand in the tank. "Don't attack the hand that feeds you" LOL.

Haha that's what my husband says, then i remind him who feeds the fish lol. And same here, it's the bigger female that bites.

Back
Top Bottom