Aggressive reef options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccantlin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about setting up my reef tank with aggressive fish this time around but I'm not sure which fish would be alright to stock the tank with.
I am going to be doing mainly soft corals. It is a 350g tank

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

350g tank is a nice size , I would prob start with a eel , a few of the bigger wrasses , file fish some are reef safe , grouper , hog fish , trigger some are reef safe . got to have a few tangs , snapper , this should help give you some ideas , I wish I had the room for a tank that size , be sure to make a build thread when you get started , would love to follow ,

Better question might be what aggressive fish should I avoid?

if you check the specs of each fish on live aquara that would help give you a idea of what fish may interest you most . in my predator tank I have a red coris wrasse , huma huma trigger , harlequin bass , box porcupine puffer , and a indigo hamlet , and a large domino damsel my tank is fowlr ,

the only 2 in my tank that would work in a reef is the damsel and the harlequin bass

you know even though its a predator tank you could add like a harlequin tusk , I know I forgot a lion , it all depends on what you want not all the fish need to be aggressive as long as there size is compatible .

live aquara also has a compatibility chart so you can see what will get along with what . I just winged mine and got lucky , I just went with what I liked the domino gets picked on but it's a damsel so I don't feel bad

IMO I would get a Clown Trigger, Zebra Moray Eel, Stars and Stripes Puffer, Volitan Lionfish. Or get a Black Banded Cat Shark :gangsta:

Better question might be what aggressive fish should I avoid?

this is making the assumption that there will be no inverts in the tank, just coral and fish;

avoid parrots, some puffers, some angels may eat corals,.....

actually if you don't have any inverts in the tank, the choices are wide open, even more so if you stick with predator fish like lions, eels, groupers, etc. that should have no real interest in coral.

I recently rolled the dice on a beautiful Fiji Puffer thinking my main concern would be my shrimp.
Nope, he leaves the shrimp alone, but I think he has eaten all my nassarius snails and he totally decimated two colonies of zoas pretty much overnight. :facepalm:

I'm slowly transitioning to fish only and a separate reef tank.

Back
Top Bottom