aglea problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GirlieSDB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have green algae growing on the glass of my tank. It looks like I have little plants growing on my glass. Does this mean I have a PO4 problem? If so what do I do? If not then what is my problem and how do I fix it?

Yes you have a po4 issue. Need to find the culprit whether it be from overfeeding {Which is the case most of the time} or po4 in the water your using, Give more details on your set up and what kind of water your using,feeding schedule's etc. The more info the better in helping with your problem.

Its a 12 gal sw reef tank. Theres no fish so I don't do any feeding. There are a few snails and hermit crabs in the tank. I use water from my tap that has a soft water unit.

Attachments

• imag0171.jpg
    imag0171.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 100
  • imag0171.jpg
    imag0171.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 102
IMO you can't assume its phosphate, you need to get a test kit or have a LFS check it for you. Take some tap water with you and have them check that also.
Thats a cool tank I always wanted to set up a nano like that...
I dont see any major algae issues in the pic???

I think I took that pic before my algae problem. My husband said he has already checked our tap water and he says there are no PO4 in our water. Thnx I cant wait unit I really get it going with fish and corals. :)

seaham358 said:
IMO you can't assume its phosphate,
Actually you can. Green algaes are a direct result of PO4 even if the test kit registers zero. They can't read organic forms. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Well let me ask you this. Why is my algae out of control? Here are me test results on every thing:ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 0 ppm, pH 8.2, KH 10 dh, alk between 2.8 and 3.2, ca around 500 ppm, temp 78, and salinity 31 ppt (1.023). No fish and some hermit crabs and cerith snails. My husband says that everything is ok with my results. Is there something I'm missing?

GirlieSDB said:
Well let me ask you this. Why is my algae out of control?
GirlieSDB said:
I use water from my tap that has a soft water unit.
:p

Stop using tap water. The smaller the tank the more important the source water.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom