Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-08-2005, 09:49 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Agressive Tank

I am starting to research setting up an agressive tank. When I am ready, the fish will be in my current 75 gal tank (I am going to move all the inhabitants that are in there now into a 125 gal tank). My questions are thus..

In my current tank, I have hermits, snails, shrimp and starfish. They do a pretty good job of keeping everything clean. I have read that many agressive fish (porcupine puffer) will eat sessile inverts. If that is the case, how do you keep everything clean? Do you have to run a regiment that has you scrubbing out the tank daily??

Here are some fish I was thinking about for the tank: Black Volitan Lion, Porcupine Puffer, Harlequin Tusk. Any suggestions??

TIA

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 12:31 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have read that spiny urchins and some tentacled stars do well in those conditions.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I can speak from recent history about the harlequin tusk, it will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. I lost 2 hermits and a choclate star to it in a two day period before I took it back to the store. Be very selective as to what you put in there and I would recomend starting with all young fish and raise them up eating a hand fed diet,
Old 01-09-2005, 03:27 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Foxface Lo does a good job keeping the tank clean. He always eats algae the others won't eat. I see you have one as well. Does he do a pretty good job?

Mike
Old 01-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

For my passive tank, my Foxface, Sailfin and Coral Beauty do a great job at keeping my tank clean. I was more interested in what kind of things I needed to do in order to keep an aggressive tank clean. I guess I can look into herbivores for the aggressive tank.

Wes

75 gal SW tank, Eheim 2215 Filter, 45lb Figi Premium LR, 2 Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900

5 Dwarf Red Tip Hermit Crabs, 5 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crabs, 3 Emerald Mithrax Crabs, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire Shrimp, 10 Cerith Snails, 10 Nassarius Snails, 6 Bumble Bee Snails, 16 Turbo Snails, 1 Brittle Sea Star

Yellow-tailed Blue Damsel, Foxface Lo, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Sailfin Tang, Scooter Blenny
AirRazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

My Foxface does well with the aggressive fish I have right now. He can hold his own.
It is hard to keep an aggressive tank clean. Get a GOOD skimmer and add more lr. My trigger and Wrasse are messy!
I'm not sure what you can use. Surprisingly, my Trigger doesn't mess with my Hermit crab or Anemone. I got lucky I guess. Most of the time, they will eat a cleaning crew.

Tags
agressive, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com