Agressive Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AirRazr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am starting to research setting up an agressive tank. When I am ready, the fish will be in my current 75 gal tank (I am going to move all the inhabitants that are in there now into a 125 gal tank). My questions are thus..

In my current tank, I have hermits, snails, shrimp and starfish. They do a pretty good job of keeping everything clean. I have read that many agressive fish (porcupine puffer) will eat sessile inverts. If that is the case, how do you keep everything clean? Do you have to run a regiment that has you scrubbing out the tank daily??

Here are some fish I was thinking about for the tank: Black Volitan Lion, Porcupine Puffer, Harlequin Tusk. Any suggestions??

TIA

I have read that spiny urchins and some tentacled stars do well in those conditions.

I can speak from recent history about the harlequin tusk, it will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth. I lost 2 hermits and a choclate star to it in a two day period before I took it back to the store. Be very selective as to what you put in there and I would recomend starting with all young fish and raise them up eating a hand fed diet,

My Foxface Lo does a good job keeping the tank clean. He always eats algae the others won't eat. I see you have one as well. Does he do a pretty good job?

Mike

For my passive tank, my Foxface, Sailfin and Coral Beauty do a great job at keeping my tank clean. I was more interested in what kind of things I needed to do in order to keep an aggressive tank clean. I guess I can look into herbivores for the aggressive tank.

Wes

My Foxface does well with the aggressive fish I have right now. He can hold his own.
It is hard to keep an aggressive tank clean. Get a GOOD skimmer and add more lr. My trigger and Wrasse are messy!
I'm not sure what you can use. Surprisingly, my Trigger doesn't mess with my Hermit crab or Anemone. I got lucky I guess. Most of the time, they will eat a cleaning crew.

Back
Top Bottom