Aiptasia control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClamKnuckle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read this and thought some of you might be interested...I don't believe I have ever seen it posted on here before, but forgive me if i am wrong

Take cyclopsese or mysis shrimp and soak it in water then use the water to mix with the calk. The aiptasia will grab at the needle smelling the food and ingest all the calk paste instead of hiding

I have yet to try it, but i oplan to....my question is how thick do you make the paste?

they don't always work ( i speak from experiance on the shrimp) and not everyone can house them in there set ups either

I've also tried joe's juice before and while it makes them disapear for a few days they always come back for me

likewise....i have a predator tank....i tried a copper band...(yeah right he freaked out to death was it the 12in lion or 24 inch moray? lol) and peppermint shrimp and like candy, and the ones in my fuge dont even do the job, joes juice works temporarily...what else is there?

Joe's Juice is not a temporary fix. It kills aiptasia when dosed correctly. You will have others pop up in different places. Keep killing them too. It's a tough war to win, but with a little perseverance and patience, you can win it.
Joe's Juice is not a chemical treatment you put in the water and have it search and destroy aiptasia; it is something you must help accomplish by injecting their little mouths with it.
I have yet to see an aiptasia grow back in the same spot (or near) where I had nuked one before w/JJ.

Just my $0.02 worth. :|

the peppermint shrimp will cut them down but not out.

joe's juice is good. zapped it and it's history.

I have these little buggers all over my sump. Not a single one is in my main tank (as far as I know). I cant imagine a reason to get rid of them in my sump. They are natural to the ocean and only really sting corals...

Joe's Juice is a waste of money according to my lfs. They will not sell it. They say it is just basically kalk mixed with some other stuff. The owner of the store is a hobbiest that decided he could make some money and reduce his costs of his home aquarium. I think the original idea on this thread is a great idea. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom