Aiptasia in Cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

got bait?

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK.. I have had 40-50 lbs LR in a Rubbermaid for 2 1/2 mos. now, keep getting delays. The rock looks great, keeping calcium and strontium levels up to increase coraline growth, working great. The only thing on the rock is some "Shaving Brush" macro and lots of coraline all over container, power heads an all.

And then..Just a couple of weeks ago noticed an Aiptasia, and now well ya know, I have lots. Is there anything I can use in the vessel to just take care of the whole population at once? Only macros, pods and Aiptasia in tank.

Yes, you can put all your live rock in a bucket of fresh water. But i wouldn't do that if I were you. You can try buying a peppermint shrimp, but it's hit or miss if they will eat the aptasia. Or go chemical using kalk paste or Joe's Juice, but you are going to inject each aptasia.

good luck.

I know I can use Joe's, But I just thought since I don't have anything else in there maybe I could avoid killing them one at a time.

Thanks klam

If the only inverts I have in my cycling tank are Aiptasia, pods and a couple small tube worm colonies, can I just use a copper based medication to eliminate my Aiptasia population. I understand my tube worm would probably not make it, but I dont know about the pod population. Just trying to avoid haveing to inject 50+ Aiptasias.

Copper is going to be a bad idea on anything that will be going into a marine tank. No sense saving yourself a few minutes of time now if it can cause you a lot of misery later. The last thing you want to happen is to have copper leech out of the live rock and kill expensive livestock. Joe's Juice or Kalk paste is the best solution. If you use Kalk, heat it up before injection to make it more effective.

Thanks GrimLock, didn't think of the LR absorbing the medication. Looks like it's time for six pack and a surenge.

It disintegrates them 0X

I used Kalk on one Aiptasia a few days ago and POOF, it was gone a few minutes later.

Thanks grimlock/klam. How much do you inject? Fill'em up? I am getting an epidural surenge from my bro-in-law today. Since kalk is actually good for the tank, sounds like the best solution.

Once you get just above the Aiptasia, squirt some Kalk paste and the Aiptasia will actually try to eat it, then start to retract into its hole. When this happens, go for the kill and try to inject Kalk right into its body. Once injected, I just put a little bit over the hole to cover it...

dead.jpg

After 30 minutes or so, I siphoned out the Kalk. Turn off your filters and powerheads when you do this. That was the Kalk does not spread.

hoestly, id just get a couple peps and throw em in there. they have always worked for me. they'll take out all of the aps within a couple weeks. theyll also get the little ones that you may miss or are hard to get to. seems like the safest way to me.

Worked like a charm, it was almost fun :twisted:
hoestly, id just get a couple peps and throw em in there
Once I transfer the LR to display tank, that's exactly what I'm going to do. Some of the ones that were in there, could have eaten a pep for lunch, some were in excess of 2in. in dia. 8O

Should have taken pics before their demise. I had one big one for about 2-3 weeks, it was so big wasn't sure it was an aiptasia, then BAM! there was 50.
I was able to take all of the rock out and treat one-by-one, but I know there are some little ones hiding.

Back
Top Bottom