Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-10-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist
One more vote for Pepps. Got mine.

Nate C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:45 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank is still cycling, and adding a pepp shrimp not an option at the moment. Are you guys suggesting I wait and let the tank cycle and when it's safe, and the shrimp in? I wanted to get it out of there asap, but if there's no harm in waiting, I guess I would rather take the more natural way by having the pepp shrimp eat them. 2 for a 90 gal sound good?

"You can determine the real worth of a man in eyes of his wife."
Heineken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
The longer you leave it in their the greater the chance it will spread.
I'd order the joes juice for 15 bucks. you'll have it in 5 days or less.
You will not regret it. Plus it's handy to have in case you spot them in the future.

it comes with a syringe making it simple to use.
72Gallon Bow Tank | LS/80lbs LR.com Keys LR 20Lbs Base Rock | fluval404 | Remora Skimmer | Red Sea Pro Wave Maker | 4 Maxi Jets 2/1200 2/900 PH | PinPoint PH Monitor | ARTICA 1/10 HP Chiller

Lighting: 48'' Coralife HQI aqualight pro | 2 150 watt MH | 2 96 watt true actinic fluorescents | 3 1 watt blue-moon-glow LEDs

Fish&Inverts: 3-BlueGreen Chromis | Shrimp Goby | Purple Firefish | 6 Line-Wrasse | LawnMower Blenny | Royal Gramma | Coral Beauty | Maxima Clam | 16 Assort. -Snails | LR Hitchers: Crabs, Urchins, Brittle Stars, Feather Dusters, and more

Corals: Assorted Mushrooms | Green Button Polyps | Toadstool Leather | Pulsing Xenia | Clove Polyps | Star Polyps | FrogSpawn | Branching Hammer | Candy Cane | Zoos | Ricordea | Open Brain | Bubble |
24Gallon JBJ Nano Cube | LR 25lbs Marshall Creek/Tonga/Fiji | 2 Flase Percula Clowns | Shrooms | Xenia | Green Button Polyps | Snails | Hermits
EL Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist
I have no personal experience with Joes Juice - I've heard/read good things about it tho...

If it were me (and it was... at one time) I'd wait for the cycle to finish - you probably only have a week or two more. If you wanted to inject them with something closer to "natural" and kill them you could mix up a kalk paste, or lemon juice, or even HOT water and hit them with a syringe.

As for the # of Pepps. I put 5 in my 90, but you could easily go up to 10 - depends on how much $ you have to spend. They don't add much to your bio-load.

If possible, ask around other Reefers locally and find someone who has had success with Pepps, then buy from the same dealer/lfs that they used. Occasionally Pepps are mislabeled (actually camelback shrimp) and camelbacks won't help you at all.

Good luck with it - Aiptasia is a pain, but it is not the end of the world some folks make it out to be - This too shall pass.
Nate C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
If you are still cycling use Joe's Juice. I have also heard of people injecting lemon juice into these. No personal experience with this though. Get rid of them now, before you add anything to your tank.
Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
I had about 15 aiptasia by the time my lr finished cycling, they seemed to be multiplying by the hour... added a peppermint shrimp along with my cleaning crew... within a week all were gone and haven't seen any since!
drm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
I had the same issue with mine. I waited until i could add livestock and added a pep. No matter how much they reproduce until the tank is done cycling the shrimp will eventually take car of all of them.
mattmku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 06:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Peps take care of small Aips, but won't touch large ones.

Bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote

aiptasia, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com